Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Post THE 2013 Shot that means the most to you.

Real Name
    Lex

Re: Post THE 2013 Shot that means the most to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Some people don't like his work...
    Those people are wrong. In my opinion, quite a few shooters do specific things better than he does, but none of them can do as much, as well, as he can.

Wow - you folks sure take Black Friday seriously over there!
    http://blackfridaydeathcount.com/

Real Name
    mark

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    The shot that convinced me to process pictures to portray what I felt rather than what the camera "saw" at the time I shot the image. Up until this I was very ginger in my processing and reluctant to do much processing. With this image I went "Dammit this is not how it was" So it was: burn,dodge,saturate colour and whatever it took to get the feel I wanted. A huge jump in my ability to get an image with impact and the first image I ever had someone go "Wow that's amazing" when they saw it

Post THE 2013 Shot that means the most to you.

This is what the camera saw

I like it a lot Trevor

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I thought it might be too hard to contribute to this thread, but .....!

During 2013 our lives were turned on their head when my partner of 30 years and wife of a few weeks was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. One of the consequences was that we had to cancel our arrangements for a holiday/vacation in France.

In trying to plan an alternative in Scotland to work around when we thought treatment would start, we booked up a couple of weeks in two separate holiday cottages here in Scotland. As it turned out, we then had to cancel the second of these when we got the appointment for Sheila to go for the major surgery that was the start of the treatment programme.

So, the week before she went into hospital we spent in the Strathspey area of Scotland, within the Cairngorms National Park. A place I know well, have travelled through often, but never really stayed there for more than a day. It was great and I found places I had never been to before. One of those is the Abernethy Forest, which is one of the very few places where the ancient Caledonian Pine Forest that once covered all of Scotland, can still be found.

I hope I'm forgiven for posting two images. They go hand-in-hand.

One is taken in the Abernethy Forest. It captures, for me, everything about that week we managed to have together.

Sheila's now into week 6 of the 18-week chemotherapy programme.

The other is of the said Sheila in the environment she loves best - with her dog, old clothes, in the countryside (taken just along the track from the cottage in which we were staying). Only a snapshot, but an important one.

Best wishes!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    The shot that convinced me to process pictures to portray what I felt rather than what the camera "saw" at the time I shot the image.
    I had the same sort of moment about 3 years ago and realised then what photography was all about.

Real Name
    mark

During 2013 our lives were turned on their head when my partner of 30 years and wife of a few weeks was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. One of the consequences was that we had to cancel our arrangements for a holiday/vacation in France.

In trying to plan an alternative in Scotland to work around when we thought treatment would start, we booked up a couple of weeks in two separate holiday cottages here in Scotland. As it turned out, we then had to cancel the second of these when we got the appointment for Sheila to go for the major surgery that was the start of the treatment programme.

So, the week before she went into hospital we spent in the Strathspey area of Scotland, within the Cairngorms National Park. A place I know well, have travelled through often, but never really stayed there for more than a day. It was great and I found places I had never been to before. One of those is the Abernethy Forest, which is one of the very few places where the ancient Caledonian Pine Forest that once covered all of Scotland, can still be found.

One is taken in the Abernethy Forest. It captures, for me, everything about that week we managed to have together.

The other is of the said Sheila in the environment she loves best - with her dog, old clothes, in the countryside (taken just along the track from the cottage in which we were staying). Only a snapshot, but an important one.

Donald, as a brain cancer survivor this strikes home to me. The most important thing in fighting Cancer is Attitude in my opinion. Wishing you both well in the coming new year. you both will be in our prayers.

Mark,

Real Name
    Hope

Wow - you folks sure take Black Friday seriously over there!
    Lol, it's pretty ridiculous honestly. That's the only time I've ever gone out on that day. Totally worth it though! Got my camera and kit lenses for half off!

Real Name
    Hope

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I really like the spirit of this thread and look forward to everyone's contributions.

The year was so wonderful for me in so many ways that it was really difficult settling on just one image that means the most to me. I picked the one below because it symbolizes the single most enduring aspect of my life -- my relationship with my wife.

The photo was captured by her and post-processed by me, which in itself is a reminder that we are life partners in so many ways well beyond our enjoyment of making photos. It was taken during a safari on our trip to South Africa, which was our 30th anniversary vacation and the very best one we've taken in three decades of immeasurably rewarding travel.

Our guide had painstakingly maneuvered the vehicle so the sun would be in the absolutely perfect position that I wanted and I was thrilled with the photo that I got. Doing so positioned the sun differently as shown here from where my wife was sitting and I was even more excited to realize that she got an even better image.

It's especially fitting that I'm posting this product of our partnership today. We met on this date 32 years ago. It is her birthday. Tomorrow is mine. I don't know if it's required for the stars to be aligned to be able to meet our soul mate. I only know that if it is required, they were certainly aligned perfectly that day.

I ABSOLUTELY love this image! Dead trees are one thing that have always fascinated me. I love to see all the different turns of the branches and the view on the other side. And a lovely story with the image, that's even better!

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

No competition - my first great-grandchild and her proud parents.

Real Name
    Dave

African sunset with bufallo: not a great photograph by any means, but it's here for a reason.

I have travelled to Africa many times over the past twenty or thirty years, in fact I think I have spent at least a year of my life on the continent. Then, early in 2010 I became very ill following surgery. There were several times that I came very close to leaving this life, and when I did leave hospital after over four months, I was in a rather pitiful state. That's it, I thought, I'm still here but I'll never smell or see Africa again - and sunsets were always one of my favourite times of the day. Anyway, as you can see I did get back there - and just seeing my photos of places I love and never thought I would see again is very emotional.

Dave

Real Name
    Sharon

Okay...so much bravery and honest feeling going on here so here's mine..it isn't from this year but pertains to this year and my very being here so i hope you will allow it.

It's only in the past year that i have been able to look at it properly and feel okay with it.

First post Bowel Cancer surgery bath..B&W because the colours were a bit too real!

Last edited by Daisy Mae; 13th December 2013 at 08:46 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Some people might wonder about what we're doing in this thread. But for many us, perhaps, it's been something quite important in which to take part. And, again, for some of us, maybe we're the sorts who are able and willing to let our emotions be a bit exposed and feel okay about that. Maybe that's what brings out the best in our photography.

Anyway, thanks Colin for having the idea.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Anyway, thanks Colin for having the idea.
    Ditto...here's mine

Couldn't do any PP cause the original went away with a corrupted HD.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy55 View Post
    I can relate to this a lot Colin. My father built the house I grew up in from timber he milled in his sawmill. This was in the 1950s in country Australia. He also build my grandparents home in the same town. Dad is still going strong at 93 years of age. Mum died 20 years ago. We moved to the city some time ago but I believe the house it still standing. It was in 2012 when we paid a visit. I will think about a photo of mine from 2013 but I doubt it will match yours for nostalgia value.
    Sounds very similar indeed Barry. My Dad would have been around that age too now, if cancer hadn't got him first. Please, feel free to post what means the most to you -- it's not a nostalgia competition

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by RustBeltRaw View Post
    Those people are wrong. In my opinion, quite a few shooters do specific things better than he does, but none of them can do as much, as well, as he can.
    I agree!

That guy taught me to look at my photos in a completely different way.

If you missed it, he have a very insightful talk to Google employees here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Av6gCq_awQ

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I first came across this book a few years ago at my public library and have borrowed it frequently since then. I purchased a publication written by him called "Life Guide to Digital Photography" that I keep near me at all times.
    If it helps, he's got a couple more books out now as well - all available on Kindle if you "feel the need" for some fast inspiration.

Real Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by RustBeltRaw View Post
    That's just plain sad.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I really like the spirit of this thread and look forward to everyone's contributions.

The year was so wonderful for me in so many ways that it was really difficult settling on just one image that means the most to me. I picked the one below because it symbolizes the single most enduring aspect of my life -- my relationship with my wife.

The photo was captured by her and post-processed by me, which in itself is a reminder that we are life partners in so many ways well beyond our enjoyment of making photos. It was taken during a safari on our trip to South Africa, which was our 30th anniversary vacation and the very best one we've taken in three decades of immeasurably rewarding travel.

Our guide had painstakingly maneuvered the vehicle so the sun would be in the absolutely perfect position that I wanted and I was thrilled with the photo that I got. Doing so positioned the sun differently as shown here from where my wife was sitting and I was even more excited to realize that she got an even better image.

It's especially fitting that I'm posting this product of our partnership today. We met on this date 32 years ago. It is her birthday. Tomorrow is mine. I don't know if it's required for the stars to be aligned to be able to meet our soul mate. I only know that if it is required, they were certainly aligned perfectly that day.

Well done Mike - on all counts!

Real Name

Thanks for sharing that Donald - I was hoping you would. Hopefully the extra support from others here can in some ways be comforting in these difficult times.

By the way, your 2nd image reminded me of one I saw recently on the RRS website:

http://blog.reallyrightstuff.com/pow-stevenfudge/ (click on it for bigger view)

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by hopeg View Post
    Lol, it's pretty ridiculous honestly. That's the only time I've ever gone out on that day. Totally worth it though! Got my camera and kit lenses for half off!
    Our "big day" seems to be Boxing day sales, where we typically get 20% + off.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
    Okay...so much bravery and honest feeling going on here so here's mine..it isn't from this year but pertains to this year and my very being here so i hope you will allow it.

It's only in the past year that i have been able to look at it properly and feel okay with it.

First post Bowel Cancer surgery bath..B&W because the colours were a bit too real!

To be honest Sharon, I for one have been guilty of being somewhat de-sensitized to cancer; it's easy to do when it's not currently affecting anyone in one's current family - in a world where we hear so much of it. Far too much of it in fact (for all the wrong reasons). Photos like this sure hit home the reality of. Thanks for having the courage to share.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast