Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D90 Upgrade - kit lens (18-105) or 16-85

D90 Upgrade - kit lens (18-105) or 16-85

hi all,
    i'm planning to upgrade my camera and made D90 as my target.Which lens really suits,kit lens(18-105) or 16-85 for D90?
    thanks.

Real Name
    John

Re: upgrades...

Quote Originally Posted by syaifs View Post
    hi all,
    i'm planning to upgrade my camera and made D90 as my target.Which lens really suits,kit lens(18-105) or 16-85 for D90?
    thanks.
    Syaifs,

If I am not mistaken Canon and Nikon both have a D90 model. Which one are you planning to purchase and what are the specifications for the lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Syaifs,

If I am not mistaken Canon and Nikon both have a D90 model. Which one are you planning to purchase and what are the specifications for the lenses?
    Hello Syaifs. Only Nikon has the D90 model and both lenses are kits. You're thinking of the latest advance P&S by Canon; the PowerShot S90. I would go for the 16-85 but it's all personal preferences since both have the same aperture range. You mentioned that you're upgrading, what are you upgrading from?

I think you will find you are mistaken shadowman. The D90 is a Nikon camera.

I have the 18-105 on my D90 and find it a great walk around lens, sharp in the centre even wide open, and sharp just about everywhere when you step down 1 stop. Great lens for the price especially if you buy the D90/18-105 as a kit.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Amberglass View Post
    Hello Syaifs. Only Nikon has the D90 model and both lenses are kits. You're thinking of the latest advance P&S by Canon; the PowerShot S90. I would go for the 16-85 but it's all personal preferences since both have the same aperture range. You mentioned that you're upgrading, what are you upgrading from?
    Amberglass and Bill,

I stand corrected.

Re: D90 Upgrade - kit lens (18-105) or 16-85

Thanks for the respons,

FYI i'm using D40 for the last 2 year and now there's some problem after my kid drop it .
    Actually i still got the kit lens for my D40(18-55),do i need to buy a new kit lens or i can use the extra budget to buy another len?(i'm aiming for tamron 90mm macro or telephoto lens).some of my friend suggesting 17-70mm from sigma as the kit lens.need advice from the expert

If there is nothing wrong with the original kit lens to your D40, I would suggest you choose a second lens. Personally I would suggest you get a fast prime for low lighting situations, or where flash is not allowed, like focal lengths anywhere between 24-50 mm with aperture of 1.8-1.4. It's all personal preferences if you want to go with a telephoto. But the best way to try out potential lenses of interest is to rent them for a awhile to see if they fit your needs. Or try them out in the store to see if you like them or not.

Thanks Amberglass,
    I got 3 lens actually,kit lens+55-200VR+35mm 1.8. The 55-200 i think can't be used anymore coz it was attach to the body when it drop.FYI i do lot of travelling and love to shoot landscape.but now i'm more into still life and macro.

Nikon lenses have 5 year warranties on them, but it will not cover accidental damages. You might want to see if your homeowner's insurance can cover your gear, but see if it's worth asking Nikon to repair the lens if damaged. Actually the older AF-S DX 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED is a pretty decent walk around all purpose zoom. For Micro/Macro: AF-S Micro 60mm f/2.8G ED but 85 mm or 100 mm for the more skittish of subject matter.

Thanks Amberglass,
    Yes,that right.It's not under warranty.That mean for macro on living things like insects or bugs you suggest 85mm and above right?Anyway,I think i'll try first all lens that you suggest.Thanks a lot for the helpful advice

The longer the focal length, the more minimum focusing distance you will have between you and the subject. In other words, safer viewing distance from things that bites, stings, and/or "personal space" issues. The 105 mm f/2.8 is a personal favorite, but the newer 85 mm with VR is nice too. The older 18-135 f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED is actually one of the sharpest consumer grade Dx zooms though it's an older model minus the VR.

Amberglass, the 5 year warranty is, to the best of my knowledge, exclusive to the US. The rest of the world is 1 year only. The 5 year warranty was bought in by Nikon US to try and combat grey imports.

Yes,that's true Bill.only one year warranty offered here.Amberglass,i've read that 18-135 is now has been discontinued right?maybe i'll try 18-105 plus vr coz i think it will help a lot for frequent traveler like me

Correct Bill about the warranty, my brain was thinking about "what to get my niece for her 5th birthday" when I entered the thread. "My bad" as my kids would say, lol. That's fine, Syaifs. But be aware that Nikon models D90 and up are compatible with older Nikon AF lenses (some are sharper than their more modern counterparts), and savings for you if found in very good condition in used or second hand shops. Older lenses may not AF as fast (moderate to fast AF lock) as the latest models out, still very good performers.

Thanks Amberglass,i'll try find that lens.maybe some store still got it or a used one.hope i'll found one
    then i can compare with 18-105.one more thing Amber,any suggestion lens that suitable for wedding party?
    coz in March, my cousin getting married and she ask me to take personal photos of her wedding.this time i'll just rent the lens(budget goes to new body+lens)

Quote Originally Posted by syaifs View Post
    Thanks Amberglass,i'll try find that lens.maybe some store still got it or a used one.hope i'll found one
    then i can compare with 18-105.one more thing Amber,any suggestion lens that suitable for wedding party?
    coz in March, my cousin getting married and she ask me to take personal photos of her wedding.this time i'll just rent the lens(budget goes to new body+lens)
    AF-S DX 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G will give you more reach than the 18-105 mm, but don't be sold on the VR feature. It takes practice to hold a camera still and photographers have been doing it long before IS or VR came around. If you're not good with your hand holding technique, use a monopod (aka the original VR solution). Bottom line is IQ and sharpness in your images which involves a good lens, you holding steady, knowing your skills to properly expose (when P, A, and S mode just isn't working for you), and knowing how your camera works.

For weddings it all depends on your skill level, indoors or outdoors, available lighting (whether or not flash is allowed), and personal preferences. Also keep in mind if your cousin has hired a photographer for the day and other guests; will dictate accessibility to the wedding party. Wedding photographers in the business will tell you right off the bat, fast lenses (apertures of f2.8 and lower) are essential because of the difficult and often times poor lighting. Fast lenses, especially zooms, will also introduce you to another issue that most hobbyist are not aware of when learning about "high grade commercial lenses"; weight.

The "Holy Trinity" (70-200 2.8, 24-70 2.8, and 14-24 2.8/17-35 2.8) or standard work horse glass for weddings and events are all "bricks". But you need the weight to hold steady and often times the additional weight of a "vertical battery grip" can be beneficial with telephoto zooms like the 70-200 2.8 as a counter balance for your wrists. *Waves hand* seasonal freelance sports shooter and documentary shooter here.

But if you're going to rent for your cousin's wedding (with or without hot shoe flash); recommend either the 14-24 2.8 or the 24-70 2.8.

Real Name
    umashankar

The Nikkor 16-85 appears to be a premium consumer lens and I myself have considered acquiring one, primarily for its wide reach at 16mm FWIW on the DX format. It has a metal mount, better build (than the 18-105, or the 18-135) and less distortion at both ends. However, it does not appear to have any credible edge (apart form the barrel at the wide end) over the 18-70 3.5-4.5 G that I already have -- I must admit though there is no personal experience here with the 16-85. I request folks to share their experience if they have handled both.

The 18-105 VR is half the price of the 16-85 and not a bad deal at that, what with the former's extended reach at the telephoto end. I've noticed quite a few photographers using the 18-105 on respectable bodies like D300S out here in India.

Its advisable to go for a VR lens when the focal length exceeds 100mm.

Thanks Amberglass&uspandey
    phewww,my list becoming more and more.which one to choose? Anyway i'll go to the store and sit there for hours to try the lens since i'm already got prime lens my target is to have a good kit lens,macro and maybe plus telephoto.

Here's one more option idea to renting that will help you, Syaifs. Rent or borrow the AF-S DX 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR (what I call "including the kitchen sink zoom") for a 2-3 of weeks, and shoot as much as you can. Basically take your camera everywhere with you. At the end of designated 2-3 weeks, go through all your images files and take note of the focal lengths that you fall between most. This is a very good gauging window in helping you choose your next lens purchase, because everyone will fall in between a range that they prefer shooting at. Often times the focal lengths will surprise you, and commonly less is more.
    Last edited by Amberglass; 31st January 2010 at 01:57 PM.

Hmmm,i've try the lens once for couple of hours but that time i don't come out with the idea that you've suggested.It's a great lens but it's to bulky for my D40 at that time.at certain length it has some weakness(from rookie point of view ).maybe i can try out the method that you've suggest .Thanks Amberglass

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast