Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Steamy image

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Steamy image

As it's quiet here tonight, here's something else to pass comment upon (I hope)

Yorkshire-day2 213+1.jpg

C and C welcome

Thanks, Dave

Re: Steamy image

well this pic is very quite too though u titled it "steamy image" i find it very cold and freezing! all that metal looks cold to touch! there is enough detail in the pic,but i would have preffered a little surrounding too all in all.....good clean close up of a steam engine!

Real Name
    Kevin

Its a great image but less of a crop, I would also like to see just a little more.

This would of also looked good as a HDR image!

I like this shot....smoke is nice...colors make the machine look real with a true metallic shine...I can see myself shooting the same picture...

I also applaud your posting the photo....so many of us have gone elsewhere due to the over critical comments on this site...

Real Name
    Ian

Dave,

What an excellent shot, I have seen many shots of trains that are typical 3/4 views and for that reason alone, you have captured the subject extremely well, from different perspective (I presume that is what you were trying to achieve?), yet the subject is unmistakable.

The point about HDR is well made, it might allow a slightly less burnt out brass safety valve cover. However the combination of copper, brass and riveted steel are well combined.

More please!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Thank you one and all for the kind and constructive comments.

It was definitely worth posting, because I wouldn't have considered it for HDR treatment. Unfortunately, since it is a jpg, this will prevent me having a go now, e.g. from 2 RAW conversions (one over, one under). It was taken last summer, before I had progressed past JPG to RAW (when the occasion suits).

It was a definite attempt at something different and is actually a full frame from the camera, cropped at time of exposure, so to speak. This is VERY unusual for me, I usually have to re-compose and straighten things before I can show them in public!

I took plenty of standard cliche shots too, but here's one other of the same engine, also amazingly uncropped in post processing.

Yorkshire-day2 214-2.jpg

Not sure this "works" as well, a little too much steam, hence why I didn't post originally, but since you asked....

And here's one I have straightened and re-cropped for, hopefully, a better composition.

Yorkshire-day2 254-2.jpg

This one looks too "processed" to me, too many artifacts.

Thanks all, Dave
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 14th August 2008 at 07:58 PM.

Hi everyone. I do apologize, and realize this probably isn't the best place to post this message, but I couldn't find a sticky posting the rules.

I'm new to this forum, and found this wonderful archive of absolutely stunning pictures, and I gotta say, you guys all have some amazing talent! (I viewed every picture in this section.)

I just recently bought a Canon Rebel XSi, upgraded from a 10yr old Panasonic Lumix. I came here looking for... well basically anything that would help me become a better photographer.

I would like to post some pictures I have taken to get your guys' great constructive criticism on my techniques and what I could do better. I've only done HDR so far(a friend taught me this technique and I can't get enough of it.)

Again, sorry for posting in this thread, but I wasn't sure where else to post it. Thanks, I will be back!

Real Name
    Ian

Loftaris,

Welcome!

I am sure you will find some useful and friendly advice and constructive criticism here. Feel free to start a thread yourself (New Thread- top left in each category) and then post accordingly, there are instructions on the ways to do this within the forum. (I think they may be under 'Suggestions') and feel free to ask any questions.