Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Looking South from home

Real Name
    Ron

Looking South from home

This was an interesting challenge for me using PSE8. Please forgive the 'picture sharpness as it is only a test ... I promise to improve
    I am staggered at the many options available and you can be sure that I will have a go in this style in one of our competitions.

Looking South from home

Real Name
    Wendy

Re: Looking South from home

Ahhhh, this is nice Ron. I recognize the photo from an earlier post and doing it up like this is very effective. You are moving right along with Elements. Where are you finding all these frames? So far I've just been using canvas sizes and if I want something with different colours I move back to Lightroom and put the frame on there.

Good work on this one. I really like this. If you don't mind pointing me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. (I won't use this particular one in a comp ) but I'd like to figure out the frames in Elements

Wendy

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Clever. I like it. It's an attention grabber. It obviously wouldn't work for every image, but at the right time, with the right image ...........!

Real Name
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    Ahhhh, this is nice Ron. I recognize the photo from an earlier post and doing it up like this is very effective. You are moving right along with Elements. Where are you finding all these frames? So far I've just been using canvas sizes and if I want something with different colours I move back to Lightroom and put the frame on there.

Good work on this one. I really like this. If you don't mind pointing me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. (I won't use this particular one in a comp ) but I'd like to figure out the frames in Elements

Wendy
    Hei Wendy.
    Takk for comment.
    It took me ages to sort out how to 'chop up a picture' and I finally resorted to using the book by Scott Kelby and Matt Kloskowski titled 'The Photoshop Elements 8 book for Digital Photographers' ... page 412. Top book Wendy but it would take me an age to try to explain 'how to' so best try to get a copy. I am still very much a learner, sorry.

As for 'outside frames', Elements has many possibilities, the one I have tried to use is Effects/Layer Styles/Strokes on the right hand side panel of Editor. With your pic in the Project Bin press clrl+N which opens a screen in which you can size the new layer relative to your pic and can set to transparent, white or a colour. Move pic onto this new Layer1and re-adjust relative layer sizes if necessary. Then open a new layer and move your chosen stroke (what a strange word to use!) onto the other layers and you will have a surround on your pic ... all are fully adjustable of course.

I have to add that my explanations are not good ... I bet another well experienced member will jump in and help you (and me!!) a lot more than I can.

As I post this I am trying to find other ways ...

Real Name
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Clever. I like it. It's an attention grabber. It obviously wouldn't work for every image, but at the right time, with the right image ...........!
    Thanks Don ... I need some headache pills (whisky?) to sooth my head. This Elements is tough to grasp.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Thanks Don ... I need some headache pills (whisky?) to sooth my head. This Elements is tough to grasp.
    Or you could do what I do; don't worry about most of it, learn to do just the basics reasonably well and ignore the rest

I seem to get by

I'm asking for a roasting next time I post a picture, aren't I?

Real Name
    Wendy

I have to add that my explanations are not good ... I bet another well experienced member will jump in and help you (and me!!) a lot more than I can.

As I post this I am trying to find other ways ...
    Your explainations are fine. I just needed to be pointed in the right direction. I have the Kelby book you mentioned, but a lot of times I get distracted, and go off in all directions. I think it's time to get back to the book.

I get really messed up when I try to do anything in a layer. ROFL. I just can't get a grip on it. All in good time though. You seem to be moving along quite well. Keep up the good work, it helps me to see what you're up to.

Have fun
    Wendy

mmm...being a lazy sausage I would have created a blank file sized to suit. Open the image to be dissected, select first third, copy and paste onto the blank sheet. Resize and move into position. Same process for each subsequent third. Add text and border to taste...done

Another simple recipe from Hells GIMP Kitchen. But you are riht there are more precise ways to do this.

Steve

Real Name
    Ron

Crickey ... so many ways of doing things
    But pottering around this evening I came up with this ... should have learnt 'how' before I entered the comp
    ... need some 'oil' ... goodnight!

Looking South from home

Real Name
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post

I'm asking for a roasting next time I post a picture, aren't I?
    Just waiting Dave!

Hi,
    This second is a nice,very nice image.
    Regards
    Radu Dinu

Real Name
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Radu Dinu Cordeanu View Post
    Hi,
    This second is a nice,very nice image.
    Regards
    Radu Dinu
    Thanks mate.
    Even with 'books' I find that I still find new ways to try. Need a lot of practice to speed things up or my wife will run away! Only joking ...

Hi,again,
    Of course,a joke only but You see another frame and another colour of the shadows to transform this shot into a picture(wth lasso tool on shadows and then levels I changed the colour of the shadows towards complementaries).You must think about that.
    Success!
    Radu Dinu
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Radu Dinu Cordeanu View Post
    Hi,again,
    Of course,a joke only but You see another frame and another colour of the shadows to transform this shot into a picture(wth lasso tool on shadows and then levels I changed the colour of the shadows towards complementaries).You must think about that.
    Success!
    Radu Dinu
    I'll send my entries to you first!

Real Name
    Pete

Thanks Don ... I need some headache pills (whisky?) to sooth my head.
    I'd offer you some Chivas Regal, but I haven't restocked from Christmas

I think that breaking up the first composition has provided some nice distraction to the powerlines that were so distracting to me in the original. Good stuff.

The second is also helped by the nice black border too. Sounds like your having fun trapped in your house by the wicked winter of Europe

That "snow pussy" is going well too

Real Name
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    I'd offer you some Chivas Regal, but I haven't restocked from Christmas

That "snow pussy" is going well too
    Next Christmas will be OK!
    As for Snow Pussy I am really hoping but it seems your train is a bit faster just now.

Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    I'll send my entries to you first!
    Who gave You such advise has right
    Regards
    Radu Dinu