Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Tripod and ball head.

Tripod and ball head.

Is there a possible way to make work together: Manfrotto 804RC2 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head with Quick Release and Manfrotto 7322YB Compact Tripod with Ball Head? My father bought those items for me for Christmas. Unfortunately, he didn't know that the tripod already has ball head. The problem is that I would opt to using 804RC2 ball head because it is more useful. Do I have to buy a new tripod or there is a solution?

Real Name
    Allen

Re: Tripod and ball head.

Did you try contacting Manfrotto from the website? They responded very quickly last time I sent them a product related question.

Allen...

Quote Originally Posted by Banner1976 View Post
    Is there a possible way to make work together: Manfrotto 804RC2 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head with Quick Release and Manfrotto 7322YB Compact Tripod with Ball Head? My father bought those items for me for Christmas. Unfortunately, he didn't know that the tripod already has ball head. The problem is that I would opt to using 804RC2 ball head because it is more useful. Do I have to buy a new tripod or there is a solution?
    You can either return the tripod combo in exchange just a tripod, or you can switch out the heads if you like to suit your needs. But not need to buy and own two tripods, but you can use the ball head on a monopod for later. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Amberglass View Post
    You can either return the tripod combo in exchange just a tripod, or you can switch out the heads if you like to suit your needs. But not need to buy and own two tripods, but you can use the ball head on a monopod for later. Just a thought.
    It was my first thought to switch out the heads. But I don't think it's possible. When I was trying to do that, I was only able to disassemble this part with knob. The rest seems to be the wholeness.

Quote Originally Posted by ALSto View Post
    Did you try contacting Manfrotto from the website? They responded very quickly last time I sent them a product related question.

Allen...
    I did it twenty minutes ago. Thank you!

It was my first thought to switch out the heads. But I don't think it's possible. When I was trying to do that, I was only able to disassemble this part with knob. The rest seems to be the wholeness.
    Knob? No no, you actually grab hold of whole unit and turn. "righty tighty, lefty loosey". Make sure the base knob is firmly set so it doesn't rotate as you try and unscrew the head.

If you can't remove the original head, then definitely exchange it. But it "should" be able to be unscrewed from tripod mount, because your tripod does comes without a head. FYI, combos are usually not the best quality. Make sure that you get a setup that can handle at least a 300 mm f4 or 70-200 2.8 IS lens down the road. Always consider what the largest lens that you would possibly buy or rent in the future. Otherwise you will end up getting another setup to handle the weight.
    Last edited by Amberglass; 15th January 2010 at 03:56 AM.

I contacted Manfrotto and as they said it is impossible to make work together that particular tripod with this particular ball head.

I contacted Manfrotto and as they said it is impossible to make work together that particular tripod with this particular ball head.
    Then I would highly recommend that you return it for another version. You want a tripod that can change out to different heads.

That is what I will do. They recommend 190 series tripods.