Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Old Boiler Dials

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,244
    Real Name
    Raj

    Old Boiler Dials

    Hi, going forward on my photography venture I stopped and clicked another shot. Can you please review it and let me know what exactly is missing for it to reach position Perfect?

    It is an HDR and I deliberately gave it a grungy & dreamy look. It was a good challenge for me to post process it as the whole image was full of textures & fine details everywhere.

    Also, wanted to know about the window too. In real i couldnt do anything because of the space limitations in the engine. Tried to tone down the outer surrounding in the window by post processing. Getting confused if it is acting as a distraction or providing a depth in the image.

    EV Range : -2 0 +2

    Thank You

    Old Boiler Dials

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,525
    Real Name
    Jack

    Re: Old Boiler Dials

    I kind of like it, an industrial/post apocalyptic feel to it. The two gauges suggest eyes, as though this contraption is standing by to work again. As for the window, I think it does detract a bit. Have you thought about cloning it out? Otherwise an interesting shot.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,244
    Real Name
    Raj

    Re: Old Boiler Dials

    Quote Originally Posted by flashback View Post
    I kind of like it, an industrial/post apocalyptic feel to it. The two gauges suggest eyes, as though this contraption is standing by to work again. As for the window, I think it does detract a bit. Have you thought about cloning it out? Otherwise an interesting shot.
    Thanks for your valuable review. Yes, i tried to clone it too, i still have the clone layer intact in PSD (Just need some adjustments to blend with the image).

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Grafton, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,340
    Real Name
    Allan Short

    Re: Old Boiler Dials

    Like the shot very much, I would not clone out the window I think it adds to the image, however what if you went into edit>warp and went to the upper right hand corner brought it down a little and straighten the right hand side.

    Cheers:

    Allan

  5. #5
    Wavelength's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Kerala, India
    Posts
    9,144
    Real Name
    Nandakumar

    Re: Old Boiler Dials

    I liked this very much

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,244
    Real Name
    Raj

    Re: Old Boiler Dials

    Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Like the shot very much, I would not clone out the window I think it adds to the image, however what if you went into edit>warp and went to the upper right hand corner brought it down a little and straighten the right hand side.

    Cheers:

    Allan
    Thanks for the valuable review. Here is the edited one. Did some selective wrap transform and some masking out as suggested.

    Old Boiler Dials
    Last edited by fotugraphy; 10th October 2013 at 04:59 PM.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,244
    Real Name
    Raj

    Re: Old Boiler Dials

    Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    I liked this very much
    Thanks for the appreciation.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Grafton, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,340
    Real Name
    Allan Short

    Re: Old Boiler Dials

    I think it worked out nice, to me the window tells me where it is that I am look, as outside it appears to be a train engine. There for I am looking at the dials inside of an old train engine.
    Works great for me.

    Cheers:

    Allan

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,244
    Real Name
    Raj

    Re: Old Boiler Dials

    Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    I think it worked out nice, to me the window tells me where it is that I am look, as outside it appears to be a train engine. There for I am looking at the dials inside of an old train engine.
    Works great for me.

    Cheers:

    Allan
    Thanks for the valuable information provided.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,525
    Real Name
    Jack

    Re: Old Boiler Dials

    My eye keeps slipping outside through the window. I kind of like the idea of not knowing what it is that I'm looking at. I think the image stands on its own without any other context than what it is. But as I'm learning, we all have a different vision of our work and in the end, it's the photographer's decision. I do like the image though.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Posts
    398
    Real Name
    Ali

    Re: Old Boiler Dials

    I like the photo. Reminds me of the currently popular "steam punk" photography. I like the window, but it would be good if you could maybe darken it a little.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,244
    Real Name
    Raj

    Re: Old Boiler Dials

    Quote Originally Posted by flashback View Post
    My eye keeps slipping outside through the window. I kind of like the idea of not knowing what it is that I'm looking at. I think the image stands on its own without any other context than what it is. But as I'm learning, we all have a different vision of our work and in the end, it's the photographer's decision. I do like the image though.
    Thanks for your kind comments and it is true that everyone have their own different vision and i truely respect that. One more image for review coming soon.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,244
    Real Name
    Raj

    Re: Old Boiler Dials

    Quote Originally Posted by ajsmith View Post
    I like the photo. Reminds me of the currently popular "steam punk" photography. I like the window, but it would be good if you could maybe darken it a little.
    Thanks for your kind review. Here is the edit image as suggested.

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6n7shzs8hs...gine-dials.png

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •