Thread: Good Morning Venice

Real Name
    John

Good Morning Venice

Nothing quite so special as gliding into the Venice lagoon just after dawn on a quiet sunny Sunday morning.

Good Morning Venice

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Good Morning Venice

Venice is definitely a special place for photographers. There is a great image lurking in every direction...

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Great composition John, I really can't fault it.

My only criticism is with regard to jpg image artefacts; blotches of detail-less water and limited dynamic range evident in blown highlights and black shadows. If shot RAW and with good PP, this could have been even better. I assume the Sony Cybershot was all you had available and I guess that's jpg only.

However, I still really like it, because you were successful in conveying the moment and the location.

Makes me want to return there - I was last there in the 70/80's.

All the best,

Brings back memories; I was there in 2011 and pretty sure I was in that exact same location, coming in from the airport?
    To me the image is only fair. It really doesn't suggest Venizia. I 'suffered' from the same experience, bright blue skies most of the time I was there, kind of overpowers the sights. I would be interested in seeing more of what you shot while you were there.

Real Name
    John

Thanks Richard. Dave, Jack, guilty as charged. Photography took a back seat for a while until I decided we should acquire one of he new digitals "..just for holidays" you understand. I bought a JPG only 4 megapixel Sony Cybershot described at the time as the only competition for the Canon G series that were in short supply. So poor quality by todays standards and Jack you're right, I don't think that I could have captured the magic that we saw that morning on any camera. But this holds memories for me.
    Last edited by John 2; 10th October 2013 at 06:43 PM.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Nice image