Thread: Lake Blanche on 10/6

Real Name
    Mavourneen

Lake Blanche on 10/6

A fellow photographer and I hiked up to Lake Blanche on 10/6; and what we thought would be an easy hike was a great challenge LOL - We started at 12:30, arrived to the top around 3; spent two hours photographing the lake (We totally missed 2 other lakes and some waterfalls, but we didn't have time) Then we left at 5:30 and got to the bottom at 8.

About 1/4th of the way down we were hiking down in the dark, over snow, ice and rocks. Not quite fun....and our tripods were used as Canes because our legs were in so much pain. But I believe it was well worth the trek and I want to do it again! But in less snowy circumstances

Here's my favorites from the brief time up there:

Lake Blanche on 10/6

Lake Blanche on 10/6

Lake Blanche on 10/6

Lake Blanche on 10/6

I do appreciate feedback (Even though I'm not technically asking for critiques) But, had I spent more time at the lake I might have gotten something more majestic (Such as a sunset, I know those mountains would have had a beautiful Golden Glow)

Real Name
    Nancy (surprised you!)

Re: Lake Blanche on 10/6

Your photos are always a joy to look at, thank you!
    This was certainly worth the hike though and I am sure it wil be a great memory every time you talk about these photos.
    Very nice!
    Nancy

Real Name
    David

Stunning images,well worth the pain!

Real Name
    Bruce

Beautiful photos.

Bruce

These 'chocolate box' scenes can sometimes look unnatural even though the scenery is stunning. But you have managed to include something into the foreground to add that bit of extra interest which does work well.

Real Name
    Murat Batmaz

All great shots, especially the first one. The foreground is awesome.

Real Name
    Mavourneen

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    These 'chocolate box' scenes can sometimes look unnatural even though the scenery is stunning. But you have managed to include something into the foreground to add that bit of extra interest which does work well.
    Chocolate box scenes? These scenes are exactly what it looked like, aside from contrast and color correction. This area needed foreground other wise it'd just be reflections.

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

I like your first one a lot.

karm

Real Name
    Mavourneen

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Nevermind I just researched the "Chocolate box" term as it relates to art, but it says that's towards paintings or designs. But interesting term, never heard it before!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

The first three are so stunning that they make the fourth one look average even though it's obviously far better than average.

When you return, it would be great if you could find a composition like the third one that includes the green foreground but allows the reflection of the mountain to be displayed without intrusion of the greenery. That foreground is actually my favorite of all of the foregrounds, probably because it's so different from most foregrounds.

Real Name
    Kevin

Really love the first one. The water penetration is so good I am assuming you were using a polarizer. And did you not use a polarizer in the 2nd, to help emphasize the reflection of the mountain? Really nice set.

Real Name
    Mavourneen

Quote Originally Posted by kdoc856 View Post
    Really love the first one. The water penetration is so good I am assuming you were using a polarizer. And did you not use a polarizer in the 2nd, to help emphasize the reflection of the mountain? Really nice set.
    I did not use a Polarizer, in fact do not own one. The photographer with me was shooting with it and we exchanged to see the difference. I used a 2Stop GND on all of these, where as the shots with the Polarizer made the sky brighter and the foreground darker. I really prefer the look of the GND.

Real Name
    Mavourneen

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    The first three are so stunning that they make the fourth one look average even though it's obviously far better than average.

When you return, it would be great if you could find a composition like the third one that includes the green foreground but allows the reflection of the mountain to be displayed without intrusion of the greenery. That foreground is actually my favorite of all of the foregrounds, probably because it's so different from most foregrounds.
    Mike, I tried to look for a spot that would allow the reflection to show through even with the weeds. It was difficult because there was no spot high enough and close to the water that would allow for it I walked around for 2 hours looking for good compositions. But I'll definitely be going back, maybe next spring; I'd love to camp there and do a sunrise/sunset and stars over it.