Thread: water droplets on rose leaves

Real Name
    Brian

water droplets on rose leaves

I have tried to apply the rule of thirds and to bring out the beauty of the water droplets. Did I succeed?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: water droplets on rose leaves

Quote Originally Posted by JBW View Post
    I have tried to apply the rule of thirds and to bring out the beauty of the water droplets. Did I succeed?
    Yes, this is better Brian, although I'd like to see a bit more to left and slightly less on the right.

However, it suffering from some blurring due to camera shake during the relatively low shutter speed of 1/58s and is a bit over exposed.

I sense you are perhaps at a point where digital photography is all getting 'a bit too complicated', but I hope we can help you through it (we've all been there).

At the moment you have taken on board composition suggestions (from another thread) and that's fine - it is far better to tackle one topic at a time than try to learn it all at the same time.

Shutter speed choice to avoid camera shake and predicting over exposure issues are other topics best left for another day.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 7th October 2013 at 07:30 PM.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Brian you need to watch the light see where it takes you. The Rule of Thirds is not a rule only a suggestion, that items shown this way are pleasing to the eye. It does not matter how or where you position the object of you attention if the light is not correct, however if the lighting is correct, it does not matter where you position that object. Lighting is like a dance, if poorly done nothing can improve the result, then again if done correctly it flows, moves and gives life to that or those objects of attention, taking something that just, "was" to something great.
    I believe that all photographers struggle to learn the dance I know I do, as the dance changes all the time, learn to not look for the object but for the light. Find the light and you will find the object.
    Sorry for going on.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    James Edwards

Brian, I'd back the comments already made by Dave.
    The contrasts are possibly a bit too deep, but that said, I do like the vibrance of the colours in this image, and that the red rib of the main leaf area draws my attention into the image.
    I'm particularly taken by the small droplets along the top and lower edges of the big leaf. They make an intersting series of phongs (those highlights you get from highly reflective elements of an image), that could be even more effective if they could be brightened a little.

Real Name
    Brian

Hi Dave, yup one learning curve at a time. For now autiomatic, a little editing and a lot of worry about size and placement. But at least you see improvement.

Real Name
    Brian

Hi James, the other major learning curve right now is editing. Gimp does an awful lot more than i can figure out right now but i time!

Real Name
    Brian

Hi Al, working on the light thing. At least there were no bright areas in the background.

Real Name
    randy

Understanding light is one of the cardinal rules of photography, I recommend making the reading of the tutorial in this forum. Coating a chunk of cardboard with foil will make an inexpensive reflector to bounce the light onto your rose leaves to help lighten up shadows.

I am with the rest, investing in a tripod is probably a wise decision. My advice is to invest wisely and read up on purchasing the best one for your situation. I, for one, have bought way too many tripods over the years. I once read that the true benefit of a tripod is that is slows you down, forcing you to think about composition and lighting. The same can be said for a monopod or bean bag.

Real Name
    Brian

Hi randy, bean bag is within the budget