Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sea coast C&C always welcome

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Sea coast C&C always welcome

A shot of the Gulf islands off the south coast of British Columbia between the mainland and Vancouver Island

I am still working on doing black and white interpretations so I welcome any opinions on composition and processing.

Sea coast  C&C always welcome

Real Name
    Christina

Re: Sea coast C&C always welcome

Beautiful image. I adore the composition, detail and exposure. I like this in B&W but have little knowledge of B&W, so no advice to share.

Real Name
    Philip

Trevor, did you intend to include the house near the right-hand edge of the composition, as it seems a bit distracting?

Philip

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    Trevor, did you intend to include the house near the right-hand edge of the composition, as it seems a bit distracting?

Philip
    Philip; this was the first judgement I had to make in processing this. I elected to leave it in but I could easily be convinced it should go. I choose to leave it because it adds a little jolt of human presence to an otherwise largely wild scene. However I appreciate it is a bit incongruous and the white spot does grab the viewer's eye

Real Name
    Richard

Trevor, a very interesting and lovely image. I added a bit of contrast and structure (using NIK Viveza) which increased the separation of the three spits of land. I agree that the house, although showing scale distracts me somewhat from the entire image. It is a bit too close to the edge of the frame to be an integral part of the image.

I saved my PP try and will post it if you would like to see my interpretation...

Real Name
    Kevin

Hi, Trevor. I like the house, too, but its position makes it look more an accident than an intentional compositional element. It's an easy PS edit to move it to the left a bit, and it would still remain true to the scene if you have some sensitivity in that regard.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I saved my PP try and will post it if you would like to see my interpretation...
    Absolutely Richard. I am always keen to see other peoples vision or versions

Trevor

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by kdoc856 View Post
    Hi, Trevor. I like the house, too, but its position makes it look more an accident than an intentional compositional element. It's an easy PS edit to move it to the left a bit, and it would still remain true to the scene if you have some sensitivity in that regard.
    Seems I need to do a little urban renewal.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

I like the image....the three strata of land/hills make their tonal distinction; regarding the house, i too feel it is too much towards the edge; so cloning it out or taking it more to right in the image to give it a prominent role can help; my two paise