Thread: Tornado

Real Name
    John

Tornado

I'm not a steam enthusiast - I can't quote you facts and figures - but I do like photographing old steam trains if I get the opportunity. Not that this one is old. It is the first steam locomotive to be built fro 50 or so years in the UK. Built by enthusiasts with public donations and some industry support. It is now kept by the National Railway Museum in York and earns it's keep hauling some of the many steam specials that take place each year. I caught it in the Yorkshire Dales on the Settle to Carlisle line.
    Nikon D90
    70-300mm Nikkor @ 105mm
    1/640th @f7.1 -2 compensation (pretty much into the sun)
    ISO 320
    Tornado

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Tornado

Hi John,

Nice blur on 'the motion' (as the crank and connecting rod bits are known).

Great location, composition and steam plume too.

I can't put my finger on it, but (and I am being super 'picky'), there seems to be something 'over processed' with the colours - not that I have seen Tornado since the new colours were applied and perhaps I am incorrectly expecting to see 'apple green'.

Wish I'd been there

Real Name
    Philip

I agree with almost everything that Dave has written about the good aspects of this shot, but I am perhaps more put off by that "over-processed" look, which makes the image a bit too dark and contrasty for my taste. However, I think it makes a good foundation for a mono photo. E.g. -

Tornado

Philip

Real Name
    John

You're right of course Colin and you clearly know something about these beasts. As you will know, photographing them isn't easy. They need to be working hard (for the steam plume), preferably on a none electrified line (i.e. without overhead wires) and the light needs to be in the right place. I managed two out three. The light was in front of me and it played hell with both colour contrast and saturation so there has been a bit of post processing here. The green isn't right for this engine but unless you know it, you might just accept it on merit. I have to confess that the only competition that I have entered it in was judged by an ex railway man and he made the same point and panned it. I have tried to correct the colour but it's still not that clean apple green that you are referring to.

Tornado

Real Name
    John

Thanks Phillip. I do have it in mono as a print just because it overcomes the colour problem but these machine are so aesthetically well turned out that it is a shame to lose the colour. Nice conversion BTW.

Real Name
    Philip

Now that second colour image (although still high in contrast) is much more appealing to me - great shot, John.

(For anyone interested, the mono conversion was done in Paintshop Pro X4, using the effect of a red filter.)

Philip
    Last edited by MrB; 5th October 2013 at 01:44 PM.

Real Name
    Susan

Hi John - that really is a beautiful shot. Hard to get a train at the perfect moment and you succeeded! Funny, not knowing the train I prefer the muted colors - also the B&W as the rest of the train is pretty old and worn out looking. For the color one I'd probably even dull down the red and blue on the front of the loco. But, I realize you might want to keep it as real - like you saw it.

Anyway - great capture - thanks for sharing!

Real Name
    John

Thanks Philip, thanks Susan. Susan, that's another comment that I have had before. A great deal of love and attention goes into restoring the locomotives to their original condition and livery but the same attention doesn't seem to be afforded the rolling stock. Don't know why.