Thread: Lakescape, Headland's Park, NE Ohio

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Lakescape, Headland's Park, NE Ohio

Comments welcomed.

Lakescape, Headland's Park, NE Ohio

karm

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: Lakescape, Headland's Park, NE Ohio

Nice photograph. Good job.

Bruce

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Karm,

You want to know why only Bruce has commented on your image, so far? Because Bruce is a nice guy, I am not.

There is nothing wrong with capturing an image like this. You need to sit down and be critical in analising your own work. It is a nice image but it is a bit boring. We got the sea cloud and sunlight. The sun shining trough that open patch in the cloud is just about interesting. Look at the streaks the light is forming, those are interesting. If you could have done it, it would have been nice if you zoomed in on that gap in the cloud and captured more of the rays of the sun breaking trough the clouds.

Have you waited another 20min or so the sun would have been much lower towards the horizon. I think you missed out on a very beautiful sunset here.

Be careful, the image seems to be a tad soft. Look at the water and you will see your eye is hurting trying to focus on the water. There are objects in the water I am trying to focus on and I cannot figure out what it is.

It is not a “bad” shot, it is just lacking real interest. I can understand why you took the shot, the clouds are beautiful. It sometimes pays to wait a little and see how a sunset develops, but of cause you need the time to be able to wait there for the right moment.

Real Name
    Susan

Hi Karm, I really like the ball of fire in the clouds. Nicely captured.

Because of your non traditional sunset shot I think I'll post one of my own - on a different lake.

Bruce and Susan, appreciate your comments. I'm glad you liked the image.

karm

Andre, I appreciate you taking the time to post a lengthy and thoughtful comment. Let me address your various remarks.

1. The day I took this photograph I did wait and I took pictures with the sun much lower and they are nice images. I think I even posted one of them to our group.
    2. I took this picture because while waiting for the sun to get lower I looked out over the lake and said to myself, "holy ****, that is one beautiful scene." Not interesting, but beautiful. I find this scene's color palette gorgeous. However, I recognize that someone else might look at it and yawn. I like the fact that many of the colors are muted. But again, this is a matter of taste.
    3. Those unidentifiable objects in the lake are birds. I will get rid of them. You're right that they are a distraction.

So Andre, I really can't dispute anything you said. I can only explain what I like about the image. And really, thank you for commenting.

karm

Real Name
    Nandakumar

It looks like a storm warning..... I liked it very much; to top up a cherry would do good...hmmm, like a boat towards horizon; i even would welcome a bird in flight. The color scheme in this image is highly appreciated

Real Name
    Richard

Generally, to me, sunset/rise shots of nothing but sky and water are usually pretty dull. I realize that they can give you a "wow" feeling when viewing them but, I tend to like something in the image besides the sky and water. A person on the shore, large significant boat, a rocky headland or even a large bird might have added some interest.

An example of what I mean might be Greg's image entitled Bali Holiday in the people forum...
    Bali holiday

Real Name
    Zen

Karm,

There are a variety of visceral reactions one might expect when viewing any image; excitement, anxiety, fear, romance and dozens of others like them. For me, your image has a serene, calming effect. I can imagine standing at the edge of Lake Ontario [as I have done frequently] watching the sun set across the water, with gold tipped waves, the soughing breeze and perhaps a distant sail crossing the scene. And perhaps in the distance, a lighthouse or the jangle of a bell on a buoy. It's a great shot, and you should be well pleased, no matter what anyone else says.

Good for you, and thanks for sharing.

Zen

Real Name
    Christina

I like it for the gorgeous colour and detail, depth of field and a unique bold composition and sharpening...abstract landscape.

Wavelength and rpcrowe, yeah, I understand and appreciate the charm that a boat or a bird or a rocky headland adds. If any of these were present when I took this picture I would have obviously worked them into the scene. They weren't.

I have to admit that when I took this picture I did not bemoan the fact that I was looking into empty space except for the water and sky. I sort of liked its emptiness. For me, the image's color palette and the formations in the sky make the shot. Again, I understand that for others this image might be dull.

karm

Real Name
    Allan Short

Karm: that is what happens when you just ask for comments, it may have been different if you had added your second statement from post #6 as to what brought you to take the shot. I have to somewhat agree with of the others, myself it did not catch and hold me, however if I knew somewhat of your thoughts I would then be looking at it more through you eyes.

Cheers:

Allan

Zen, thanks for your reply. Sitting on the beach and watching this scene unfold I did have a strong emotional response. Partly serene and calming, but also a feeling of being grateful for just being alive and seeing the beauty of the sun and sky unfolding before me. These are the things I tried to capture in this image. Probably beyond my skill level as a photographer but if you don't try, you'll never succeed.

karm

Thanks Christina. Appreciate your comments. The only thing I would pull away from in your comments is the term abstract.

karm

Polar01, I thought the beauty of the shot (my eyes and taste) could stand on its own. I almost always hesitate to say too much about what I'm trying to accomplish. I think if I have to explain it then maybe i failed as a photographer. If I take a picture of something that is a bit weird then I do share what I was trying to accomplish. I assumed this was a pretty straight forward image of a beautiful sky over water. I was going to let it stand as such. Evidently, I was wrong.

karm

Real Name
    Dan

Nice sky, Karm, and well handled. This type shot is very taste specific, some liking, others not. It's all good...

Dan, appreciate your comment. I also agree with your comment that this type of shot is taste specific. Where I was a bit naive was not explaining to the viewer what this image means to me.

karm

Real Name
    Kevin

This works for me, but is all about taking a moment to appreciated the colour and drama of the sky against the pedestrian but serene sea. If I had a suggestion, it would be to change the title, to "The Eye of Sauron".