Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sony CSC mirror less full frame rumoured

Real Name
    Jim

Sony CSC mirror less full frame rumoured

Hi all

sony are rumoured to be releasing a Nex full frame CSC model soon, possibly called the nex9 and this really interests me to upgrade to, specially if they have sorted out the menu control system that on the Sony nex 5N that I currently use is not that user friendly. I have been able to compare using my Nex5N to my friends canon 70d (which I was so tempted to go for but the size difference sold the nex to me and I have no regrets) over the course of the year we have both owned each camera. Image wise I am happy enough with my results and appear to be able to match him with equally as good images when we are out and about so I can't complain on that front.

Who among you use CSC format cameras, are you happy with the results and would a full frame CSC version be worthy enough of an upgrade to tempt you to part with your money as an upgrade... or are you all die hard full size DSLR users?

If this FF CSC is released it is tempting me to part with my money, worth it or not as an upgrade from my nex5N only time will tell as I have been so impressed with some of the shots I get with my nex5N.

full frame CSC is it the future? for me it's a yes, if the menu systems can be significantly improved as well.

Real Name
    George Trist

Re: Sony CSC mirror less full frame rumoured

My friend also has a Canon 70d and I feel the NEX 5n is just as good (and I am only 6mth into being a photo taker) in his hands anyhoo. I would upgrade if the controls are better, I don't know much about the subject but I will agree with you on the control issue. The wheel is rubbish and I keep hitting record for some reason.
    I've already told the wife I would like a eos 5d mkII or III :-) but if as you suggest Sony are bringing out a full frame nex I'd be happy with that.

Real Name
    Jim

70d is fantastic value for money too, I just prefer the size of the CSC format.

In better Hands a difference may start appearing but as like you we are both enthusiasts but very green when it comes to all the tech stuff so possibly, probably not exploiting their full potential already.

The full frame CSC option is appealing though it's rumoured there will be two versions to suit budgets. one may compete with a 5d on price if what I read is correct while the other will be nearer the 70d on price.

Real Name
    Kathy

This rumor's been around ever since the RX1 was released.

I think whether the Sony IL version of the RX1/FF NEX is going to be a success does in some part depend on what kind of viewfinder technology it uses and the price point and lenses. If it doesn't have an integrated EVF, I don't think it's gonna fly. And, obviously, a whole new line of FF E-mount lenses is going to have to happen. If Sony does offer a FF NEX, there better damn well be at least a FF Zeiss ZA Sonnar T* 35/2 for it.

However, given how gorgeous the output from the RX1 sensor is, if Sony manages to figure those issues out, and keeps it around/below the $3k price point, they'll probably have a huge winner on their hands.

For me, personally, though, as an MFT user, I probably wouldn't upgrade. I didn't go with APS-C NEX because the lens sizes were already too big for me. Going FF is only going to add to the size/weight of the glass, and there's not going to be anything as compact as the m.Zuiko 45/1.8 as a FF e-mount 90mm lens. There's also the fact that I already have a 5DMkII, which doesn't cost me anything more to use, since it's paid off. I went CSC to go small and light, and I was happy to compromise on image quality. I've already done ASP-C and full-frame with my Canons, and I landed at micro four-thirds. So I know I'm not gonna go the path of "best image quality possible" with more weight/bulk. YMMV.

As for price, I'm assuming a FF MILC from Sony is more likely to be at the $3k price mark, not the $2k, given that the fixed-lens RX-1 is priced around $2800.

Also, this is just me, but superteles and fast action are not yet in mirrorless's wheelhouse. If wildlife or sports shooting is your thing, CSC is probably not for you right now.

Real Name
    Manu

Apparently, two FF NEX cameras are expected to be announced in couple of weeks, a 36MP version and a cheaper, 24MP version.