Thread: New to Forum. (Photo: Stairway to Heaven)

Real Name
    Mau VC

New to Forum. (Photo: Stairway to Heaven)

Hola,

I am new to the forum and wanted to share this shot. Last night I was driving around and found this cross next to a local church. I felt that it may work for a good composition, even when I could not align properly the stair due to a wall.

I made it black and white because the original has green and purple tones that did not work for a dramatic picture.

My usual workflow goes as follows:

1. I have a Sony A77v with the SAL 16105 (only lens I have)
    2. I shoot all RAW and Manual (for this one I used my almost working tripod)
    3. RAW processing with a demo of Capture Pro 7 (has a profile for the camera not so much for the lens..)
    4. Processed JPG/TIF depends on the final product, in this case JPG
    5. Post production with DXO FilmPack 4 (demo again) using a customized profile based on a Rollei film.
    6. Gimp for final crop/resolution and logo.

Any feedback is welcome, and I hope you enjoy the photo.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Re: New to Forum. (Photo: Stairway to Heaven)

Welcome to the forum, Sortarivs. A nice conversion but just being a little off symmetrical results in a little loss of impact

Real Name
    Steven

Sortarivas, welcome to CiC.

The title drew me to click this thread. Besides liking the conversion, this pix don't work for me. Thanks for sharing, hope to see more of your work.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

I'm afraid that the watermark and the lightness in the bottom 1/2 of the image competes with the cross in the top 1/2 - plus, the foliage is distracting.

Real Name
    Mau VC

Thanks everyone for the comments. I appreciated it.

As I mentioned somewhere else, I feel now that the tittle was a bit misleading.

In my mind the metal steps and the sterile/harsh bottom section ascends to a cross of pure white (the "heavenly" upper section vs the "devilish" lower section).

Pseudo-philosophical issues aside that was pretty much the idea trying to save an image that did not have much to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Sortarivs. A nice conversion but just being a little off symmetrical results in a little loss of impact
    Thanks for the welcome. I agree it is off. Sadly the wall around the place raises exactly at the proper position. (Murphy´s Law maybe). You will need stairs to look over and I am afraid there will be no way to look "over" the cross but just took the shot at the same level.

Quote Originally Posted by teokf View Post
    Sortarivas, welcome to CiC.

The title drew me to click this thread. Besides liking the conversion, this pix don't work for me. Thanks for sharing, hope to see more of your work.
    Thanks for the welcoming and the feedback. Not all pics work but they said somewhere here to "post the worst ones so you can learn"

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    I'm afraid that the watermark and the lightness in the bottom 1/2 of the image competes with the cross in the top 1/2 - plus, the foliage is distracting.

Thanks. Here is another version without the watermark. I am not really sure how to remove the foliage as the whole mount is covered by grass. That was part of the plan of changing it to BW, to remove the effect of the grass or at least make the tones more uniform (all greyscale).

For your reference (and critics) this is a screenshot of the original RAW. The light was very bad and I did not have too much time, it was around 2 am and there were some creepy people gathering around the park by the time I was working on this one, so I took the shot quickly.

Thanks Everyone!