Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Shisha Bar

Real Name
    Phil Page

Shisha Bar

Looking into a small shisha bar in Deira. Gloomy and filled with the smoke and smell of hubbly bubbly:

Shisha Bar

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Shisha Bar

Dear oh me, I think I've led a sheltered life - had to Google "hubbly bubbly" !

It's not the sort of place I'd want to frequent but it makes for an interesting image Phil.

Dave

Real Name
    Peter

I really like this shot. Tells a story. Nice composition giving all elements in the shot the right proportion and placement in the frame and great exposure.

Real Name
    John

Nicely done, the sharpest of the television screen contrasts so well with the atmosphere of the room. The figure on the screen has a look of disapproval.

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

I think you really captured the "sense" of what it's like being in this bar.

karm

Real Name
    Phil Page

Thanks guys. Most of my street shots take place in an area of Dubai which is about 4km2, and this area was shot a lot in the past by a photographer who lived in the region in the '70s and '80s (http://www.anitavanderkrol.com/)

It's great to see her images and see similarities in some of my shots. Some examples were shot from virtually exactly the same spot 35 years apart - often with completely different surroundings but often with the same buildings still in place.

Anyway, my point for referring Anita's work is that my street work is a snapshot in time from the current era, and looking back to Anita's era there are many sights which just do not exist anymore. It's therefore nice to shoot something that will soon cease to exist and in 35 years time may be looked at by a photographer in much the same way that I view Anita's work now.