Thread: Here Fishy...

Real Name
    Andrew

Here Fishy...

I have been practicing with some new strobes recently... Frustrating this learning curve that underwater photography presents.

Unfortunately for me, the only place I have locally to test them is a flooded sand pit that doesn't have much to see. So, aside from a few pieces of sunken chain, and some cinder blocks, there isn't much to shoot. Fortunately, every once in a while, some wildlife will swim past.

Here I've got both of my new toys on arms out to the sides of the camera, and a Canon 60mm macro lens. The light on camera right is set at about 1/2 stop higher than the left, my thinking was, that the main (right) light would catch the glimmer in the body of the bass, and then just use the second light to fill in some flash. I don't know if it works or not.

Also, the composition isn't great. But please cut me some slack - I'm new, and these guys are fast. Also, relatively large to fit into a frame with a 60mm lens!

Here Fishy...

Anyhoo, enough rambling. Let me know what you think - please!

Real Name
    J stands for John

Re: Here Fishy...

Grumpy looking guy isn't he Intereasting though you used flash there is not a sparkle in his eye.
    I'd say a successful start for you.

Real Name
    Andrew

Interesting that you mentioned the catch lights. I never actually noticed. And, I did not remove them. Maybe fish don't generate catch lights? I'll try again, and let you know!

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Andrew,

I think this is wonderful idea to pursue. I like the focus on the fishes eye and his/her face is full of character. Nice detail.