Thread: Barbary Macaques are a species of tailless monkeys

Real Name
    Dave

Barbary Macaques are a species of tailless monkeys

These Barbary Macaques are found on Gibraltar where they roam free and visitors to the Ape Den can take images of them

This monkey was sitting on the wall looking away from me and I focused on his eyes and if you look or enlarge the image you can see the tour bus and a bit of me in his eyes.

Real Name
    Christina

Re: Barbary Macaques are a species of tailless monkeys

A beautiful photo, indeed... I adore the expression captured and his/her beautiful eyes, plus the detail, clarity and light.

Real Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    A beautiful photo, indeed... I adore the expression captured and his/her beautiful eyes, plus the detail, clarity and light.
    Thanks Christina, thought you may like this image. They where all over the tours buses, loved them.
    Dave.

Real Name
    Matthew

A very nice image and the eyes are gorgeous. In the spirit of a learning/critiquing forum, I have two comments.

1. I personally find that the DOF on this is too shallow. It's distracting to me that the nose and mouth are OOF. While not a deal breaker, it would be much better for me if they were within the DOF

2. When an animal is facing one direction but looking the other, I usually prefer the animal to be centered in the frame because it gives room in front of where it's facing, and room also in the direction it is looking. If it was looking the other way, the placement you have would work better for me.

Just my thoughts. But excellent photo nonetheless.

Real Name
    Dave

[QUOTE=flyingSquirrel;342780]A very nice image and the eyes are gorgeous. In the spirit of a learning/critiquing forum, I have two comments.

1. I personally find that the DOF on this is too shallow. It's distracting to me that the nose and mouth are OOF. While not a deal breaker, it would be much better for me if they were within the DOF

This is one of the reasons i always focus on the eyes:

Focus on the eyeball
    With a long lens, you don't have a lot of depth of field, so use it wisely. An animal's eye is the most important part and it should be razor sharp. A highlight also improves the photo immensely. Some animals have jet black eyes which look like holes in their heads without that highlight.

This is from this site: http://www.paragon-press.com/tips1.htm.

Dave.

Real Name
    Dave

This is a junior Barbary Macaques monkey, is this one better for you.

Real Name
    Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    This is a junior Barbary Macaques monkey, is this one better for you.

I apologize if I offended you by commenting my opinions on your photos. I wasn't sure if you were open to critiques or not.

Yes, for me personally, that is an excellent capture. The composition, pose, and DOF work better for me. Thanks for posting this one up.

Thanks for the link about wildlife photog. I am aware of DOF and eye focus, and I do agree that you need to be selective with DOF and absolutely should always focus on the eyes. However, I'd like to mention that there is also the option to stop down the lens for more DOF (light level, ISO and other factors permitting). Your shots here are a perfect illustration of this: The first shot is at f2.8 and the most recently posted shot is at f7.1

Really nice photos. Again, sorry if I upset you with my comments.

Real Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by flyingSquirrel View Post
    I apologize if I offended you by commenting my opinions on your photos. I wasn't sure if you were open to critiques or not.

Yes, for me personally, that is an excellent capture. The composition, pose, and DOF work better for me. Thanks for posting this one up.

Thanks for the link about wildlife photog. I am aware of DOF and eye focus, and I do agree that you need to be selective with DOF and absolutely should always focus on the eyes. However, I'd like to mention that there is also the option to stop down the lens for more DOF (light level, ISO and other factors permitting). Your shots here are a perfect illustration of this: The first shot is at f2.8 and the most recently posted shot is at f7.1

Really nice photos. Again, sorry if I upset you with my comments.
    Matt you didn't offend me in anyway you merely stated your opinion. We post on here to get constructive comments and we should respect the other persons opinion. Thanks for your comments.
    Dave.

Real Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    These Barbary Macaques are found on Gibraltar where they roam free and visitors to the Ape Den can take images of them

This monkey was sitting on the wall looking away from me and I focused on his eyes and if you look or enlarge the image you can see the tour bus and a bit of me in his eyes.

This image was shortlisted in a competition to win a new camera and I think it got 5/6 votes on this forum, you win some you lose some.