Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Epson R3000

Real Name
    Phil Page

Epson R3000

Well my birthday present has just been ordered and will be arriving shortly - an Epson R3000 printer. Anyone in this forum using one? Thoughts/advice/feedback?

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Epson R3000

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    Well my birthday present has just been ordered and will be arriving shortly - an Epson R3000 printer. Anyone in this forum using one? Thoughts/advice/feedback?
    I haven't posted for months. My mother passed away in June after a 3 year battle with cancer and everything took a back seat.

I've been using the R3000 for almost 2 years and it has never missed a beat. I use Marrot's bulk ink (Lyson) system with Canson papers and custom profiles made using a Colormunki and I simply never have to print anything twice. You are going to love it.

I've just got back from my annual photo pilgrimage. This year I went to Southern Utah (Bryce Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands), Monument Valley, Antelope Canyon and did the drive from San Louis Obispo to San Fran, where I never saw a thing due to fog all the way. We did about 3000 miles all in all. I went back to work for a rest. Photography in summer is not good for sleep patterns. We stayed up one night doing star trails, getting to bed at 1am and then got up at 3am for a 65 mile drive to Mesa Arch on Sunday morning. We got there at 4.15 am and were 5th and 6th in the queue.

I'll write up a thread soon like I did for my Antarctic trip.

Good to be back and good to see "my old mates" Donald and Colin. Hello to Trevor in Canada who I met at the WSAVA congress in New Zealand in March.

Real Name
    James Edwards

Phil,
    I've had mine since Feb of this year, running like a dream, results excellent.
    Like Mark, I switched from Epson OEM inks to Marrutts's bulk ink (Lyson) system using refillable cartridges.
    I tend to use Harman Crystaljet gloss and Lustre papers and profile with Spyder Pro 4.
    I did a comparison 'before and after' with the Epson inks. Before profiling the results were pretty good. After though I am getting better depth of colour, (although it does need a side by side comparison).
    The cost reduction in respect of ink is about 80% for me.
    Ignore the negative comments out there about jets clogging etc.... I never found it a problem yet, and it put me off switching inks for a while until Colin put me straight

James

Real Name
    Phil Page

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm going to run with the ink provided and see how things go, but will look at 3rd party solutions as the price of OEM inks is even more expensive in my neck of the woods.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Just had mine a few months and love it. I know not everyone is as enthusiastic as me, but I think the Advanced B & W facility is brilliant. Perfect for those of us, like you and me, who do a lot of B & W work.

I read that, although wireless, you should use a LAN or USB for the set up. I didn't. I did it wirelessly and it worked like a dream. Absolutely no problem. And I now use it wirelessly.

It has been all I hoped it would be

Phil - I'm just about to go on to the Permajet Eco-Flo bulk Ink system, now that I've used up nearly all the Epson ink that came with the unit.

ps - Mark, it's great to see you back posting. I am sorry about the death of your mother.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Well I picked up the printer last night - setting up was a relative breeze and I'm now printing wirelessly. Just with plain old glossy Epson photo paper the results are fantastic. I'm going tot ry to hunt down some better media to see how it goes. Mainly printing tests in B&W, with one in colour at A4, but this guy, on A3 glossy, is stunning!

Epson R3000

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Congrats, Phil. Have fun!