Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sekonic Lightmeter L358 combining with Sekonic RT-32CTL for firing PW flex's

Sekonic Lightmeter L358 combining with Sekonic RT-32CTL for firing PW flex's

Anyone using the combination Sekonic L358 meter fitted with the Sekonic RT-32CTL for triggering the flash setup with Pocketwizards Flex system?

I am considering buying the Sekonic RT-32CTL for fitting to my L358 and wondered if it is reliable firing all the time, any distance issues or does it cause you problems? Or any comments be appeciated?

Thx

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Sekonic Lightmeter L358 combining with Sekonic RT-32CTL for firing PW flex's

Hi Alan,

I have the older RT-32CE fitted to my Sekonic 758DR and used to use it to trigger my Flex TT5 units before I upgraded my whole flash system to the 600EX RT / STE3-RT and it worked just fine (I was restricted to test firing on on on the 4 legacy channels, but that was never an issue).

In the studio I now use it to trigger my Plus IIs attached to the studio heads.

Off memory the specs downgraded the range to "only" 100 feet or so (compared to several times that for the TT1 / TT5), but in practice it was never a problem. I assume the RT-32CTL would be much the same.

Not sure if you're a Nikon of Canon shooter, but for what it's worth, the Canon 600EX-RT system blows the TT1 / TT5 Flex system clean out of the water.

Re: Sekonic Lightmeter L358 combining with Sekonic RT-32CTL for firing PW flex's

Thats pretty encouraging Colin, and probably ties in with my overall impression, looks good so will go ahead and get one

Im on a Nikon system and use SB900's with bat packs when out in the field inc the SU800. As you rightly mention, I did pick up on the channel restrictions and it looks quite cumbersome, like you tho it shouldnt be a problem for what I do. Although there is a good vid by Mark Wallace on UTube that runs through the system quite well.

cheers
    Alan

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I do use the system with my L-358, but generally with my Paul C Buff Einstein 640 strobes equpped with PocketWizard MC2 receivers, where the "old" channel restriction is no issue what so ever, as I am working 100% manual.

I have used it with my SB600 and SB900 with the Plus 2 tranceiver, but tend to not use that configuration all that often, but when I do, I tend to be running the Speedlights on manual as well, so again, the old channel has not been a restriction either. I tend to set up my lighting ratios manually, and that is when I triggering from the L358 comes in handy. Reliability is good, but then I tend to be fairly close to the lights.

So far as I know, Sekonic has discontinued the L358, so I'm not sure on what the availability of the accessories is going to be like in the future.