Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post your Panned Photos...

Real Name
    Christina

Post your Panned Photos...

I would like to learn more about panning and would enjoy seeing some images where the subject or at least part of the subject is in sharp focus, created by using a slow shutter speed and panning.

I would especially like to see photos of birds and horses, but images of cars or anything moving would be truly appreciated. Also if anyone has any tips to share on how they managed their image and/or if a tripod was used would be helpful.

Hopefully this subject is of interest to others, too.

Thank you.

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Post your Panned Photos...

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    I would like to learn more about panning and would enjoy seeing some images where the subject or at least part of the subject is in sharp focus, created by using a slow shutter speed and panning.

I would especially like to see photos of birds and horses, but images of cars or anything moving would be truly appreciated. Also if anyone has any tips to share on how they managed their image and/or if a tripod was used would be helpful.

Hopefully this subject is of interest to others, too.

Thank you.
    Here are a few. christina........................

Getting approx. 90 degrees to the subject and pan by locking the focus in on the subject and rotating smoothly, by turning at the waist.

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Steve,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and showing me what to strive for... All of these photos are incredibly beautiful.

I finally learned how to view the exif data for photos and one thing that puzzles me about your settings is your choice of Aperture priority and a large aperture. Are you not nervous that you might miss the shot because your camera will choose a fast shutter speed? ie; why not manual, or SS with a slow shutter speed or aperture priority with a small aperture. For the latter, I guess the background would be too, detailed then but wouldn't the panning blur the background anyway? And would not a smaller aperture give you a better chance of having the whole subject in focus, combined with the blurred background obtained from panning?

I tried panning at the horse races and set my camera to SS priority first, around 40-160 seconds and then switched to manual once I saw the aperture settings. But now I'm not so sure of my choice of camera settings.

Thank you.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Steve's images are all exquisite
    Yet the panning effect is not strong except in the first one. They are frozen actions with a fast shutter, rather
    Regards

Real Name
    Robin

I certainly can not compete with the first photo:
    I have nothing panned except Motorsport.

Only hand held, usually at about 1/80th.
    Tulloch car. SP 1/80th, f32, EV-1, Focal length 80mm - Jan 2013

Brent Jones truck was at 1/100th, Shutter Priority, F11, 200mm focal length, not sure what lens, maybe my Nikon 70-300, truck travelling at full speed.

Gaunt photo, Shutter Priority, 1/80th f/18, focal length 150mm, car coming out of a moderately fast corner, into the esses. Teretonga Racetrack near Invercargill, Jan 2011.
    No pp of any kind, not even cropping.

Note:
    I need to add, the camera is set to continuous shooting, and with these photos was set to Auto focus. I forget what matrix. I always attempt to aim at the front of the car so the car has space to move into.

This year I plan to try manual focus, setting the focus on a spot on the track, then taking multiple shots, hoping I get one at the sweet spot. I am changing approach as I do not get enough good shots. And the above approach has been suggested by the good guys on here who seem to know a bit about how to do this panning stuff.
    Last edited by rawill; 28th September 2013 at 08:03 AM.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

I have nothing to post other than nothing

Real Name
    Bruce

Christina, Robin's shots are a good example of what you are trying to achieve.

Bruce

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

I cannot recall ever panning using a tripod. Just pan as smoothly as possible and gently squeeze the shutter button. I usually support the lens with my left hand.

1/250 f11 300mm

Expect plenty of failures. Just call them abstracts.

Real Name
    Robin

Of course I hve to say I love the "Rally" shot.

Real Name
    Christina

Yes, indeed they are... I think the heron shot at a SS of 325 is super slow for a bird in flight, but faster than the 40-160 I'm seeing used in some horse race images.

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    Steve's images are all exquisite
    Yet the panning effect is not strong except in the first one. They are frozen actions with a fast shutter, rather
    Regards

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Robin,

Thank you so much for sharing. I think that #8 the car photo is truly exceptional, and represents the blurred streak and sharp focus that I would like to manage in a horse race photo. The one thing that is puzzling me is whether to use shutter priority or manual. I see with shutter priority that your camera chose an aperture of f18 (my camera chose f19-29) and in Neil Murrays article on horse race photography he uses a large aperture to help blur the background, as it seems that Steve does to, and the background at the horse races needs blurring...

What are your thoughts on the best aperture to choose?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by rawill View Post
    I c

ertainly can not compete with the first photo:
    I have nothing panned except Motorsport.

Only hand held, usually at about 1/80th.
    Tulloch car. SP 1/80th, f32, EV-1, Focal length 80mm - Jan 2013

Brent Jones truck was at 1/100th, Shutter Priority, F11, 200mm focal length, not sure what lens, maybe my Nikon 70-300, truck travelling at full speed.

Gaunt photo, Shutter Priority, 1/80th f/18, focal length 150mm, car coming out of a moderately fast corner, into the esses. Teretonga Racetrack near Invercargill, Jan 2011.
    No pp of any kind, not even cropping.

Note:
    I need to add, the camera is set to continuous shooting, and with these photos was set to Auto focus. I forget what matrix. I always attempt to aim at the front of the car so the car has space to move into.

This year I plan to try manual focus, setting the focus on a spot on the track, then taking multiple shots, hoping I get one at the sweet spot. I am changing approach as I do not get enough good shots. And the above approach has been suggested by the good guys on here who seem to know a bit about how to do this panning stuff.

Real Name
    Christina

Hi L Paul,

Thank you for sharing... Great to hear because my tripod is too light to support my long lens and I find them awkward to use for moving things. Nice to see that beautifully sharp bird photographed at a slow shutter speed, lets me know it is indeed possible.

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    I cannot recall ever panning using a tripod. Just pan as smoothly as possible and gently squeeze the shutter button. I usually support the lens with my left hand.

1/250 f11 300mm

Expect plenty of failures. Just call them abstracts.

Real Name
    Christina

I have nothing to post other than nothing
    Flying flowers?

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Flying flowers?
    lolz

Real Name
    Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and showing me what to strive for... All of these photos are incredibly beautiful.

I finally learned how to view the exif data for photos and one thing that puzzles me about your settings is your choice of Aperture priority and a large aperture. Are you not nervous that you might miss the shot because your camera will choose a fast shutter speed? ie; why not manual, or SS with a slow shutter speed or aperture priority with a small aperture. For the latter, I guess the background would be too, detailed then but wouldn't the panning blur the background anyway? And would not a smaller aperture give you a better chance of having the whole subject in focus, combined with the blurred background obtained from panning?

I tried panning at the horse races and set my camera to SS priority first, around 40-160 seconds and then switched to manual once I saw the aperture settings. But now I'm not so sure of my choice of camera settings.

Thank you.
    Hi christina, these were not intentional panned shots. Just grab shots, where I knew my shutter speed was way too slow. So the only way to get the shot, was to use a panning technique. If done intentionally, you would need to figure out what the ideal shutter speed is , for the result your after. Then take lots of shots, because the slower the shutter speeds, the less keepers your going to get.

I don't use auto ISO, so my shutter speeds should stay fairly consistent, with aperture priority. Manual mode would work as well.

The lack of focus on the deer, is because of movement, not aperture. So decreasing the aperture would only lower my shutter speed and give more movement. Again, the only reason for the open aperature, was because I didn't intend on panning in the first place. I was going for max. shutter speed, and settled for panning due to shutter speeds too slow.
    Last edited by Steve S; 28th September 2013 at 05:38 PM.

Real Name
    Christina

Yes, indeed... I envision your beautiful flowers soaring through a blue sky. Perhaps a neigbourhood monkey could give you a hand and throw them to you from a treetop... Angels in Flight

lolz

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Steve,

Thank you for sharing, and yes, I will take lots of shots.. Wish me luck because I want subjects to be sharply focused with beautiful backgrounds just like yours with perhaps a few artistic streaks.... It will likely take me two years to do...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    Hi christina, these were not intentional panned shots. Just grab shots, where I knew my shutter speed was way too slow. So the only way to get the shot, was to use a panning technique. If done intentionally, you would need to figure out what the ideal shutter speed is , for the result your after. Then take lots of shots, because the slower the shutter speeds, the less keepers your going to get.

Real Name
    Lex

From the Midwest Drift Union's Streets of Detroit competition.

Unsharpened in Facebook.

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Lex,

Those are awesome! May I ask what aperture and SS you used, as when I click on the exif data it brings up the data for Steves deer....

Is one supposed to sharpen panned photos?

Quote Originally Posted by RustBeltRaw View Post
    From the Midwest Drift Union's Streets of Detroit competition.

Unsharpened in Facebook.

Real Name
    Dave

Christina you don't always need fast shutter speeds when panning. Back in the film days I used to go to a lot of car rallies and i don't think I went above 150 ss. For me it's like taking a subject which is static and if whatever conditions are for the static image you go with that. Pick a point left or right to start your pan then when the subject enters that zone start panning and when you think fit press the shutter and then keep panning as if you where taking a golf swing you follow through because if you stopped mid pan it would be blurry. Go out and practise and then some more.
    Dave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast