Thread: Misty morning

Real Name
    Tony Watts

Misty morning

Is a misty morning what the Germans call "mistige morgen " ?

I thought I would walk out to see what I could find. There was no particular object to see but it seemed like an opportunity to try some arty pharty photography with atmospheric pictures. Do these do anything for anybody? C&C please.

Misty morning
    056A4007 by tonyw36, on Flickr

Misty morning
    056A4001 by tonyw36, on Flickr

3. I am not usually a fan of black and white but this seems appropriate

Misty morning
    056A3999bw by tonyw36, on Flickr

Real Name
    George Montgomery

Re: Misty morning

I like the B&W one a lot. Did you try the other two in B&W? B&W, it seems to me, is a prerequisite for arty pharty/artsy fartsy status.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

I can feel the chill running down my spine. Well done.

Real Name
    Larry Saideman

I think you are definitely onto something. I like the combination of reds and greens with the infiltrating mist in the first. I might straighten the trees a touch--not because they were straight but it might have a nice effect. Cropping out the trunks that are on the edge may or may not help. It can be worth trying slight variations especially in a 'free' image such as that (free meaning no apparent subject matter to worry about). In the second, I might have shot lower to emphasize the ground and minimize the bright sky. The black and white has a nice silvery feel to it. Well done. Don't forget to try intentional camera movement when in a dark woods and there are a lot of filters that can give fun effects with such scenery if you have access to them. I sometimes select inversion and play around with the scene with opposing tones and colors. So, your efforts may be artsy but are not quite arty-pharty.

Real Name
    Tony Watts

Thanks for the comments.

George, I tried making the first two black and white and did not like the result. Without the colours, there are almost no features. Conversely, in the third picture the variation in light and shade, especially on the featured dead tree, makes the picture. In colour, the effect of this is not there.

Larry, I should try things as you suggest. The trees do lean the way they appear - it is not just a perspective thing. I thought they provided an avenue for the view path over the hill. I wondered whether the sky dominated too much but I found my eyes immediately drawn downward away from it.

I tried a different crop. It is quite a different picture now, less features but perhaps more mood.

Misty morning
    056A4001(3) by tonyw36, on Flickr
    The colours are perhaps too light now. Every time I look at this I see different brightness and colours. I wonder whether people with different monitors see things completely differently.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Tony. I like what you've done. I do not believe every photograph "must" have a main object for the viewer to see. Sometimes a serene scene is just pleasing to view and allow us to appreciate the beauty of nature. I think you have achieved that.

The second image has a lot of bright sky in the top half and keeps pulling my eye upward. I like what is at the bottom of the image and wondered if there was another position, location, camera angle or whatever to have photographed that area.

My two cents worth...

Real Name
    Larry Saideman

I really like the new crop. It has a completely different flavor, more open without the one trunk leaning in. The new lightness works fine. I feel the energy moves up from the bottom rather than being more stuck at the top. I did not mean to 'correct' the image by straightening in the first image. Just to straighten it to see how the image then feels. Once you leave the realm of the real, the benefit is more room for creativity. The drawback, of course, is so much room for creativity.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

I liked them for their muted colors; the chill of morn is really felt; more than black and white i liked the others more
    Regards

I like the second and third. The first has too much going on in the foreground. I do like the black and white, a nice touch to include the path.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Hi Tony

I've only just seen this thread but just wanted to add that I think these work well. I like the pastel colours of the first and the B&W in the third. The fourth works best for me I think. The colours in this remind me of a Frederick Mccubbin painting.

Dave

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Hi Tony. Your New Misty Morning (cropped) I think is a really nice image. You're correct that it has a lot more mood and even a little bit of mystery.

karm

Real Name
    james

I liked the b&w best.

Real Name
    Zen

Hi Tony. Thanks for sharing your images. All three are well done, but my fav is #1. The view between the foreground trees all the way thru to the background gives great depth - which I think really makes the image. A great shot!

Zen

Real Name
    Christina

Beautiful. I prefer the colour images. #1 and #4 are my favourites.