Thread: Philadelphia Reflections

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Philadelphia Reflections

I would like to get some feedback on this image. I took it long after the Sun had set. It is a view of Philadelphia and its reflections on the Schuylkill River. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Philadelphia Reflections

This image is © 2013 CKCurtis

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: Philadelphia Reflections

Nice photo.

Bruce

Real Name
    George Montgomery

Nice photo. My two cents: I used my mouse wheel to "crop" out most of the sky, leaving just enough above the tall building. To me it looked better minus the moon and the extra sky.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Beautiful !!!

Real Name
    John

Not a great fan of trees hanging in the side of a shot but it works here. However, I agree about cropping the moon. Beautiful as it is, it competes for attention with the city.

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Great photo - I'm with the leave out the moon opinion too.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

On the moon in-or-out question, I don't think it's a case or right and wrong. In and out, they are two very different pictures, both with their strengths.

Leave the moon aside for the moment. I like the composition of the cityscape. Like John, I think the trees work and provide a wonderful frame for the hard landscape features of the city. I think there is a nice balance to that portion of the image.

I couldn't extract any EXIF data, so couldn't see the exposure information. It looks to me as if the city is ever-so-slightly out of focus, with the trees being very much in focus And I am questioning whether a greater depth-of-field would have been desirable.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Thanks for your comments everyone. I am still undecided whether to leave the moon in or out. I know that, because it is so bright, it draws attention to itself and away from the city. Sometimes I like the moon there and sometimes I too think it would be better to remove it.

Truth be told, the moon was actually higher in the sky and somehow or other, when I processed the image in Photoshop, it ended up lower. OK, I moved it. I thought the aspect ratio of the final image looked better if the moon were closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I couldn't extract any EXIF data, so couldn't see the exposure information. It looks to me as if the city is ever-so-slightly out of focus, with the trees being very much in focus And I am questioning whether a greater depth-of-field would have been desirable.
    Here are the camera settings: ISO 1600, f13, 6 seconds, focal length 48 mm. If I look at the image at 100%, it is clear, but not crystal clear. I believe it lost something when I downsized to post here; I did not resharpen after reducing the size.

I appreciate the feedback.