Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KingFisher

Real Name
    Bernard Boyle

KingFisher

After months of trying and lots of patience finally caught this chap today,comments would be most helpful....KingFisher

Real Name
    Robert

Re: KingFisher

That's beautiful

Real Name
    Tim

Hi:

Very nice capture; I'm still learning but IMHO the sharpness is spot on.

Tim

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Bernard,

Thank you for sharing... It's a beautiful bird, and I think it is amazing that you captured it with a fish in its' beak and the glint in its eye. Lovely pose, too.

Something about the feathers on its breast and wing looks a little soft to me? I would like to see it just as sharp and loaded with detail, just like that beautiful gull shot you posted a little while ago.

When I move your little beauty around I prefer it cropped just a bit at the bottom to eliminate the split branch on the bottom of the photo...

Well done!

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Your patience has paid! excellent image

Real Name
    Bernard Boyle

Robert,Tim,Christina,Nandakumar,thanks for your kind comments,Christina,I didn,t realise it had a fish in its mouth till I went home,I was well chuffed when I saw it

Real Name
    Grahame

Nice capture Bernard,

Twice in the past month I have spotted a blue collared kingfisher in the area around my house, my first sightings ever of this bird in Fiji. So just to make you even more pleased with your capture here's the heavily processed version of the best I have achieved

KingFisher

Grahame

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Bernard,

I had to look up the word "chuffed" and I'm well chuffed to have added a new fun word to my vocabulary...

By the way you should be chuffed to bits for capturing that moment. I know how incredibly challenging it is to do.

Cheerio!

Quote Originally Posted by Benjy View Post
    Robert,Tim,Christina,Nandakumar,thanks for your kind comments,Christina,I didn,t realise it had a fish in its mouth till I went home,I was well chuffed when I saw it

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Great capture Bernard, I have been trying for these for ages and not got a shot this close.

I have researched them though - and can suggest that as the fish is in his mouth 'head out', this means he's probably about to pass it to a mate (or potential mate), or possibly even one of his chicks (given the lateness in year), if he were going to eat it himself, he'd probably have switched it around to be 'head first' to swallow - although that might have happened afterwards.

Well done,

Real Name
    Joe

Nice capture Bernard, very colorful bird. Much different than the kingfishers in Florida.

Real Name
    Bernard Boyle

Thanks Joe,Dave,I,ve been trying for yonks, built myself a hide with branches etc. about 3 metres from branch where he perched,seen him quite often something always went wrong<focus,blurred,too dark etc.>finally he/she landed and waited a few moments yahoo .... kept calm two shots, away he/she goes ,very shortly he/she returns another few shots ,as I,ve still got lots to learn I was well chuffed with outcome....

Real Name
    Christina

I see that I am going to have to build myself a hide... : Bernard, your efforts and determination served you very well indeed.

Thanks Joe,Dave,I,ve been trying for yonks, built myself a hide with branches etc. about 3 metres from branch where he perched,seen him quite often something always went wrong<focus,blurred,too dark etc.>finally he/she landed and waited a few moments yahoo .... kept calm two shots, away he/she goes ,very shortly he/she returns another few shots ,as I,ve still got lots to learn I was well chuffed with outcome....

Real Name
    Bernard Boyle

Christina,thanks again for kind comment....

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thanks Joe,Dave,I,ve been trying for yonks, built myself a hide with branches etc. about 3 metres from branch where he perched,s
    Bernard - You realise that Christina is going to have to look up 'yonks' as well!

That determination and commitment deserves to be rewarded and , as this image shows us, is the sort of dedication to the craft that's required to nail a picture like this.

Good on you, mate. That's one to be very proud of.

Real Name
    Christina

Yes, indeed. Somehow I missed the word "Yonks". Bernard your vocabulary is very interesting indeed.

Bernard, it looks like it is going to yonks until I can manage to pan a racing horse with any success and I haven't seen my wild eagle in yonks!

Yes, I had to look the word up.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Bernard - You realise that Christina is going to have to look up 'yonks' as well!

That determination and commitment deserves to be rewarded and , as this image shows us, is the sort of dedication to the craft that's required to nail a picture like this.

Good on you, mate. That's one to be very proud of.

Real Name
    Bernard Boyle

Donald,maybe another for Christina,thanks a bunch for kind comment.....

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Bernard,

I wasn't going to look that up because I'm pretty sure I use the term "thanks a bunch' quite often, although I don't know where I learned it... However, I did look it up and I see that the meaning depends on the tone in which it is delivered.. Interesting indeed.

I would fancy seeing some more Kingfisher photos. I fancy an image with a pair of them, each with a fish in its' beak. Should be a doddle!

Yes, I'm feeling a little fruity. Pip pip mate!

Donald,maybe another for Christina,thanks a bunch for kind comment.....

Real Name
    Bernard Boyle

Christina,another shot,same day,same branch,good Idea a pair each with a fish in their mouth,can,t wait for you to post,gaun yersel,it WILL be a dawdle....KingFisher

Real Name
    Christina

Blimey chap! I don't like to be thought of as a skive, so I was out all day searching Kingfishers dining on fish! And it's monkeys outside!

Bobs' your uncle! How's this for the Bees Knees!

KingFisher

It wasn't easy peasy so this is a one off!

Seriously, Bernard... Just having fun and I'm trying to learn how to use layers so I took your beautiful photo, healed out the lower branches, and sharpened the feathers on just the belly of the bird. Then copied and pasted a couple more of him/her in the image. Unfortunately my processing skills using layers and selections are weak so I couldn't do your image justice.

While working on your image, I noticed how gorgeously blurred your background was, well done.

Thank you for the lesson in British slang. It was good fun. If you don't like having your photos edited, just let me know and I will remove my edit and leave just my reply in British slang which I hope you understand, and expect that few others will without having to look it up... What a fun language...

Real Name
    Bernard Boyle

Christina,well done no problem with edit,way beyond anything I can do,background was slow moving water in woods,thanks again for your kind comments they are much appreciated...PS,Scottish Slang

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast