Thread: Foggy coast

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Foggy coast

The shore of an island in the Salish Sea (aka the Gulf of Georgia; the body of water between the mainland of British Columbia and Vancouver Island). There is a ferry dock and several buildings along the shore but I was unable to make them stand out from fog.

Critique and comment always welcome

Foggy coast

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Re: Foggy coast

It has some abstract quality; liked it

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I drove north this morning to visit my dad (leaving home at 7am) and came back home later in the day.

On the way up I was viewing scenes just like this and wishing I was on a photo-trip, when I would have been out in order to capture photographs and would take the time to do so.

I love the calmness, the serenity which is soaked into this image. A gorgeous atmosphere. It would have been tempting to go for more structure/detail in the trees, but that would, in my opinion, have destroyed the image.

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

It is indeed a quiet, serene landscape. Its beauty lies more in the light and shadow and less in its tones, so I wonder if a B&W version would be worthwhile.

Tony

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    It has some abstract quality; liked it
    Thanks Nandakumar, The fog reduces the scene to it's essentials and maybe beyond, to an abstract; good point

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I drove north this morning to visit my dad (leaving home at 7am) and came back home later in the day.

On the way up I was viewing scenes just like this and wishing I was on a photo-trip, when I would have been out in order to capture photographs and would take the time to do so.

I love the calmness, the serenity which is soaked into this image. A gorgeous atmosphere. It would have been tempting to go for more structure/detail in the trees, but that would, in my opinion, have destroyed the image.
    The fog has made the trees quite fuzzy, I looked at sharpening but it really does make it weird and is not an improvement. Ethereal is definitely the way to go.

I never see this sort of image, living in a dry climate. Now I envy your access to fog and mist. I am amazed how the mundane elevates to magical. I feel blessed to have had this chance while traveling on the ferry across the strait to Victoria. Now I just have to process the hundred or so images I took!

I must admit I shamelessly stole the concept from some of your prior images. However, I did pass on the knowledge to about ten other photographers. ( "See one ; Do one: Teach one" technique of learning) One was watching me, must have twigged to what I was doing, and went and got his friends. So somewhere in Germany there are ten new disciples of the Fog and Mist school.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Tony M View Post
    It is indeed a quiet, serene landscape. Its beauty lies more in the light and shadow and less in its tones, so I wonder if a B&W version would be worthwhile.

Tony

Your point is well taken. I processed this initially as black and white. This version is to see how people felt about colour. (Don't tell Donald that I am a heretic to the Fog and Mist School). Unfortunately I cannot link to Tiny Pics to upload it. This is a fairly frequent problem. I suspect it is due to a slow satellite uplink. I will try later.

Real Name
    Christina

Beautiful image..

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

After ten attempts

Success

Foggy coast

Real Name
    Dan

Nice moody image. Both versions work. Nicely done.

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

I like the B&W one very much. The slightly different tones in the trees have be replaced by shades and to me the result is a cleaner image. The colour one looked like it had colour noise, even though it didn't.

Tony