Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Going for Brokeh

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Going for Brokeh

Just some fruit from our trees, a lemon and mandarin; trying for sharp fruit and soft background. Trying to get just that little bit of 'oomph' from mundane subjects.
    Thanks for viewing and any cc.

Going for Brokeh

Going for Brokeh

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Re: Going for Brokeh

I really like the contrast you've captured with the lemon - that yellow is very striking. The background needs to be less messy perhaps but retain the colour contrast

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Going for Brokeh

Hi Ken,

I can't see any EXIF data, so I don't know what you shot these with (e.g. camera, focal length and aperture), however, you seem to have achieved the goal; the subjects are sharper than the backgrounds.

As a composition, #1 doesn't really work for me, might be improved by a combination of crop and cloning. To me, the background doesn't make sense with the fruit, but that probably says more about my knowledge of lemon growing than any problem with the photograph!

However, I do like #2 a lot; my suggestions to improve this would be to consider a slightly different crop (to place the fruit more toward the lower left third) and to selectively use Local Contrast Enhancement (LCE) on the fruit alone, then it would really pop.

Hope that helps,