Thread: Late summer morning at the marina

Real Name
    Tim

Late summer morning at the marina

These three were taken with 75-300mm lens Canon 60D at 75 mm ISO auto f 4.5 1/800 TV mode. 1st ISO 125, 2d ISO 320 and third ISO 200

These two were taken with 75-300mm lens at 220mm ISO Auto (mallard 160 and seagull 200) aperture 5.6 @1/320 sec also in TV mode with a canon 60d.

Took two of my grandchildren to the marina to feed the ducks last sunday AM. Normally we would find mostly seagulls and canadian geese. This time there were no geese and only the seagulls at first. Then some mallards appeared and was able to capture a few images of which my wife likes this one the best.

C&C always welcome

Thanks,

Tim
    Last edited by bugster0121; 21st September 2013 at 09:24 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Late summer morning at the marina

Hi Tim,

Where to start? (you have different subjects and the shooting data provided is incomplete to allow us to give meaningful advice in some images)

You may find a read of this thread;
    How to Get Effective Feedback for your Posted Images will help receive better feedback next time.

I hope I don't 'overload' you with too much information, but you did ask and you did post 5 pictures!

OK let's start with the grand kids - they are sharp and the first, with your grandson, could have been better if only the birds were more in shot to the left of him, but that's just a case of you perhaps needing to be persistent until the better composition happens

Your grand daughter is looking to the left slightly, yet compositionally you have her on the left third, leaving a fair amount of space on the right which has nothing of interest in it; no birds. Also, she's cropped quite tightly across the top of her head, but I suspect you needed to go wider than 75mm (not possible), or step back one or two paces (possibly accompanied by a "splash" sound )

From what I have learnt here, I gather the Canon 75-300mm is not the quickest at focusing and this seems to be a problem on all three bird shots, sadly, they're just not sharp enough. That said, I don't know the Tv shutter speed on the last two, so possibly camera shake is the problem.

Compositionally, the third and fifth are best, the seagull in the fourth might have been better placed (given the direction it is looking), more in the upper right, or wait until it looked to its left.

One last thing, if you could upload larger images, it helps, these are all 500px wide, twice that would be better, but you'd need to change to using Go Advanced and TinyPic to achieve that, although 700px is possible via the method you used for these.

Here is "chapter and verse" on image posting, which you might find useful;
    HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?

Hope that was helpful,

Real Name
    Tim

Hi Dave:

Thank you very much. It is very helpful. Very new with a DSLR and trying to learn so your comments are very much appreciated. Apologies for the forgetting the shutter speed on the last two. It is 320 and also taken with a canon 60D.

As for cropping my grandaugter yes it would of been a splash but I can understand and appreciate your point The only cropping I did was on my grandson (only editing on all 5 for that matter) as I am still tryring to learn photoshop. Is it possible that when I converted from raw to jpeg it induced some blur? Maybe I need to sharpen after I use this lens after converting to JPEG? I used Lightoom to export and convert from raw to JPEG then uploaded the JPEGs here. I have that thread bookmarked for uploading (copy the BB not the URL must remember as I originally forgot again) but will try that next time.

Much thanks for your C&C

Tim

Real Name

Hi Tim,

That was quick!

Quote Originally Posted by bugster0121 View Post
    As for cropping my grandaugter yes it would of been a splash but I can understand and appreciate your point
    Perhaps turning the camera by 90 degrees, capture in a vertical format and crop to square if you want to avoid too much leg in shot. - I can't tell you how many times I have forgotten to do something as simple as rotating the camera to get a bit of subject in.

I am still tryring to learn photoshop. Is it possible that when I converted from raw to jpeg it induced some blur? Maybe I need to sharpen after I use this lens after converting to JPEG? I used Lightoom to export and convert from raw to JPEG then uploaded the JPEGs here.
    Me too, I just enrolled with Lynda.com and am learning myself.

That said, I do know that ALL RAW images need sharpening as part of PP, you may find this post useful, it is as good an explanation of sharpening workflow (with examples) as you're likely to find

Cheers,

Real Name
    Tim

Hi Dave:

Yes I am early bird . I also recently joined Lynda.com. Have been taking the courses by Ben Long so far mostly. Matter of fact that sharpening tutorial is where that sharpening thought came from. Have been enjoying many of the others on this site as well.

Is this any better? sharpened it a bit using PS elements. used Tinypics this time

Thanks

Tim Swanson
    Last edited by bugster0121; 21st September 2013 at 11:03 AM.

Real Name

Hi Tim,

Definitely better, yes

Ideally, needs to be bigger though, how did it get to be 500px wide?
    Was that just a crop down (i.e. bird was a very small part of the full size image),
    or did you downsize yourself (in which case; just don't go so far),
    or perhaps; post elsewhere and use their 500px size?

I find, with this kind of patterned duck, it is easy to blow the highlights on white plumage, something to keep an eye on, it isn't too bad here though.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Tim

Hi Dave:

Thought it may of been the tinypics setting (chose the forum size) but then ckd my lightroom export file settings and saw that I had it set to export at 500 pixels. What is a good size to use here? My current lightroom settings that I chose (purely guessing as this resizing thing I am still trying to figure out) are 1) image sizing options arethe box is ckd to resize to fit long edge; pixel size is set to 500 pixels; with 72 pixel per inch chosen 2) file settings are Image format-jpeg with quality slider set at 41 (0-100 here); dont enlarge is not checked; color space is sRGB and limit file size is set to 100k 3) output sharpening is set for "screen" with the amount of sharpening set to standard.

Thanks

Tim

Real Name

Hi Dave:

Thought it may of been the tinypics setting (chose the forum size) but then ckd my lightroom export file settings and saw that I had it set to export at 500 pixels. What is a good size to use here? My current lightroom settings that I chose (purely guessing as this resizing thing I am still trying to figure out) are 1) image sizing options arethe box is ckd to resize to fit long edge; pixel size is set to 500 pixels; with 72 pixel per inch chosen 2) file settings are Image format-jpeg with quality slider set at 41 (0-100 here); dont enlarge is not checked; color space is sRGB and limit file size is set to 100k 3) output sharpening is set for "screen" with the amount of sharpening set to standard.

Thanks

Tim
    Hi Tim,

I've personally never got on with these 'do everything' export methods, but that's without LR experience.

I would suggest never more than 1000px height (so it fits on most screens at 1:1), but if landscape format, then up to 1600px maximum width is also permissible. If going to 1600 wide makes the image more 1000 tall then set 1000 height and use whatever width it gives. If you're working in units of a pixel (which you should be for screen) the dpi should be irrelevant.
    I recommend a quality setting of 75% or 9/12 (which scale depends which application you use) - 41% (or 41/100) sounds a bit low to me.
    sRGB is good.
    I would not limit the filesize, it will affect quality (in fact may be this set the 41%), all that said; if you're on dial up internet, or wireless dongle/3G/4G internet access with a bandwidth cap, or tiered billing, you may not want to take all my advice

Again personally speaking; I have found the sharpening applied via these combined save methods can sometimes give too harsh results, but what you actually need to adjust (radius and amount independently) is not accessible via the simplified dialog.

Post #6 in this thread suggest my recommended method, it takes a little longer, but everything is under your control.
    HELP THREAD: How can I post images here?

Cheers,

Real Name
    Tim

Hi Dave:

Much much thanks for your advice.

Tim