Thread: The Forest moon of Endor

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

The Forest moon of Endor

This was a very high dynamic range scene due to bright sunlight through the forest canopy and deep shadows behind the trees and on the forest floor . I would opinions about whether this works or not.

I may have to go back to the west coast of Vancouver Island and try this again when the light is more forgiving, or for any other reason I can scrap up to justify the trip to my wife.

The Forest moon of Endor

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

Re: The Forest moon of Endor

Trevor,

I like this very much. My only wish would be that there was a bit more room at the bottom to see more of the sunlit trail. Great colours.

Marie

Real Name
    Greg

This is what photography is about: the capture of light. There are some wonderful colours in this scene, Trevor, but I think you could have done better. I agree with Marie that there should be more of the sunlit trail in there. I also think you might have lost some detail in the shadow areas. You could possibly address this in pp, but it would be far better for you to return to the scene and rework it. It is a good concept and has great potential, and I know you can do a much better job of the execution, so, I recommend - in fact, I insist - you return to the West Coast and shoot this scene again

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

I am definitely going back here. Hopefully at Xmas when I hope to get some storm waves crashing on the ocean shore and take a crack at more of this.

This is one of those instances where travelling with nonphotographers is a screaming pain. We had the trip planned out to give me one free day to do my thing and then I was to do as I was told for a wedding, reception et al. To make a long story short, and avoid a screaming rant, my sister in law and my father in law decided to be car free for the wedding et al. Guess who was detailed at the last minute to provide a car and transport?

In this instance I was given ten minutes grace to try and scrape up something with this scene while everyone else sat in the cat and moped.

As shot (the best of six shots to get the best compromise between light and shadow)

The Forest moon of Endor

Real Name
    Kevin

Non-photographer traveling companions often require heavy sedation to be agreeable. I cant seem to pull up your EXIF data, but wonder if you next time use a wider angle lens would allow more separation of the foreground trees. I shoot a lot in the woods and to have any light at all to work with it's likely to be a high dynamic range environment. I never step inside it without a tripod and plans to do realistic HDR.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

This was shot at 16mm, which is the widest setting on my lens, 1/3 sec and f22.

Unfortunately I don't have the capacity to do HDR, using Aperture to post process. I may be able to get a relative or friend who has Creative Suite to help out for the next attempt. This time around none of my shots are aiming to get a lot of details in the shadows, I was mainly aiming to avoid blowing out the ferns and still get as much shadow info as possible.

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Hi Trevor,

I know how you feel when your precious photography time is usurped. It's hard to mix pleasure with leisure.

The light presents a challenge. Without HDR, you might have to avoid the sky and concentrate on the ground and lower parts of the trees.

I feel that this scene is too compressed and either has to be much wider or taller, showing more of the lower part.

Tony