Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: How do I Get the Best out of Photomatix Pro 4 HDR Software?

Real Name
    Gary Marsh

How do I Get the Best out of Photomatix Pro 4 HDR Software?

Hello to all,
    I have a question about processing photo's using Photomatix Pro 4 software and would be very grateful if someone could help on this matter. I am using Nikon NEF 14bit Raw files in camera using Adobe RGB 1998 colour space set at the recommended f.stops apart up to 5 bracketed shots sometimes set at up to -2, normal and +2 and using Aperture priority on a tripod of course. Is it better to load the un-edited Raw files straight into Photomatix or should I do any kind of editing beforehand and if so what editing is recommended and then save them as 16Bit Tiffs and then load them into my HDR software. I would just like to know which method will give me the best results
    Any responses to my message will be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards

Gary

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: How do I Get the Best out of Photomatix Pro 4 HDR Software?

Gary: This is more or less my workflow for HDR images, I open all the images in ACR, Select all, now go to middle image, I will make small adjustment such as lens correction, pre sharpening, noise reduction, maybe WB, make sure the high lights and blacks are not clipped, a little contrast, clarity and saturation just a little, then 'Done".
    Now these corrected raw files are then loaded into Photomatix, usually use default and adjust to my to it to appear as real in my mind as possible, than save as a tiff.
    Open the tiff in ACR and start to rework in Photoshop to finish and polish.
    I find this works for me as I usually want the image to look at true as possible as to how I remember or want it.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Gary Marsh

Re: How do I Get the Best out of Photomatix Pro 4 HDR Software?

Hi Allan
    Thanks for your reply to my post I will try this method next time I use Photomatix.

Regards
    Gary