Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patron Glass (with & without a drip)

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Patron Glass (with & without a drip)

Patron is a brand of tequila and it is bottled in hand-blown glass made in a primitive style. The look has become such an important part of Patron's branding that they also make other glass objects in the same style. This primitive style is very different from any kind of glass that I have photographed so far, so the entire process was especially enjoyable.

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: Patron Glass (with & without a drip)

Mike, I really like these photos, especially the texture that appears in the bottle.

Bruce

Real Name
    Nandakumar

I liked the second image, which has a story

Real Name
    Terry

Awesome piece of glass Mike! Shot with your usual flair.

What was the liquid you used?

Real Name
    Christina

Exceptionally beautiful... These two are my favourite images of your glass images. Amazing detail, clarity and light. And yes, the 2nd image has story...
    Last edited by Brownbear; 15th September 2013 at 08:44 PM.

Thanks, everyone!

Terry: The liquid in the drip and on the tabletop is hand soap. Its viscosity creates a relatively slow drip that is easy to time without the need for a speed light. The problem is that I know it's soap, so it looks like soap to me. I have no idea what tequila looks or drips like other than that it is clear, so I wonder if those who do know how it behaves know that I didn't use tequila.

The liquid in the glass is water.

Can you suggest other liquids that would work particularly well for this type of photo?
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 15th September 2013 at 09:53 PM.

Real Name
    Christina

Tequila can be clear, amber or even a rich dark gold coloured liquid. I would guess that any clear coloured alcohol/rubbing alcohol would have the same density.

A chart I found for ideas

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/li...ies-d_743.html

Thanks, Christina! I didn't realize that tequila comes in different shades. I'm also surprised to learn from your helpful list that common oils used in the kitchen have density values of about 900 - 950 and water is close to that at 1000. I assumed there would be a bigger difference between those oils and water.

Real Name
    Christina

You're most welcome... Yes, just look in the kitchen cupboard. Perfume might do just fine, too. Nice to know that I can be helpful for a change of pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    Yes, just look in the kitchen cupboard. Perfume might do just fine, too.
    Sorry, but we never keep perfume in the kitchen.

Real Name
    Christina

It's something you might wish to consider as storing perfume in the fridge may help extend its lifespan. Fact or fiction, I truly don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Sorry, but we never keep perfume in the kitchen.
    Last edited by Brownbear; 15th September 2013 at 11:47 PM.

Real Name
    Jon

Thanks Mike, Your photo reminded me that I have a bottle of Patron calling my name
    The soap in the 2nd photo kinda bothers me. Not the drip, but the puddle below has air bubbles in it which would not be natural.(yes, I have spilled Patron in the past) Patron makes a beautiful bottle and you have shown it equally well. Maybe removing the lot # and date stamp would make it better?? Just a thought.

Cheers

Real Name
    Terry

Seriously? This is a Tequilla Jug? (okay. Just googled it! Guess so!)

You have the cork?

I wouldn’t keep perfumes in the kitchen with this stuff! I just did a chemical compatibility analysis and just the fumes alone will be spontaneously combustible!

My advice? Swill the Tequilla, wear the perfume, but don’t do both at the same time!

Mike my other thought would be next time you are out and about pick up a bottle of glycerin in your hand, lean it around, and see if its viscosity suits what you are looking for. I have used it in the studio before. Found it at CVS Pharmacy, so fairly common. Cheap too! If it seems a bit too thick you can mix it with water seamlessly. I especially like to use a mixture if I want to mist something for droplets. It is clear, does not bubble, does not run so fast due to the visc, and I have had some luck mixing it with food coloring if I need a bit of tint.

So say man? Have you considered putting H2O in the jug, turning it on its side, and shooting the drop with the liquid in the jug? Might be a cool thing and be right in line with your expert lighting. Could even use that food coloring to get a bit of color if you were of a mind (hey, I know you do B&W so I may be out of line here). Anyway, just a Theory!
    But Mike? That bottle is really cool with your lighting and the lines, shadows, and imperfections in the glass! The drop idea is perfect and makes this a very dynamic shot!

Add the liquid (fake tequila), a cool hook, and sell it to Patron!

I think the concept is strong enough that it's worth reworking the shot with the improvements suggested by Jon and Terry. Thanks, guys!

Thanks for the information about the air bubbles, Jon.

Terry: I don't have the cork. The bottle is on loan to me and I didn't even know it is a tequila bottle until I Googled it yesterday.

Thanks for the idea of using glycerin. I've never seen it, much less used it. I'll probably be able to get some tonight. When I hear of glycerin, I think of nitroglycerin, which is probably not what you are suggesting.

I actually had thought about putting some water in the tequila bottle. I was thinking of buying a turkey baster so I can use it to transfer water to the bottom of the bottle without getting water on other parts of it (and leaving nasty mineral deposits that would show up in the lighting setup). Your suggestion about adding water to the bottle confirms for me that it would be a good part of the story.

Just in case anyone needs to find some glycerin, it's in aisle #7.

Jon: I forgot to follow up with you about your suggestion to remove the lot number and date. I think doing so would make the photo more enjoyable for people like me who know nothing about Patron Tequila. The reason I left that information in the image is that perhaps tequila aficionados know that that information is always displayed on the same side of the bottle as the "Patron" name. I was concerned that removing it would render the image inauthentic about perhaps an important characteristic of all Patron bottles. Your thoughts about that?
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 16th September 2013 at 01:18 AM.

Real Name
    Terry

You know Mike?

I might even consider just filling it to what looked good, and setting it on its side on the kitchen counter to check the level. When it looks about right, wipe off the outside and put it into your set!

Due to the imperfections in the glass itself (cool thing about it), I doubt there would be any obvious water line on the inside of the glass and you may not necessarily have to fill it on-set! And if there were it still may look good!

I'm concerned about leaving water marks on the inside of the bottle that would be difficult to remove. I'm less concerned about this particular bottle because of its intended imperfections, but need to develop the proper technique for other situations when eliminating water marks might be important. Besides, I already purchased the turkey baster and want to try it out.

Real Name
    Terry

Were you able to talk them out of an MSDS complete with specs?

Real Name
    Jon

Mike, I just checked the 3 bottles of Patron in my cabinet and the lot #/date are not always on the Patron side. I believe it is random placement on the bottle. Unless of course my bottles are the freak exception I think you would be fine in removing it.
    I look forward to more takes on this. I just finished the one partial bottle...2 more to go

Each Patrón bottle is unique and individually handmade by an artisan schooled in the art of glassmaking. Keeping with Patrón’s environmentally conscious policies, all Patrón bottles, save the pure crystal Gran Patrón vessel, are fashioned from recycled glass. - See more at: http://www.patrontequila.com/perfect....GwyA6yPU.dpuf
    Last edited by Plumcrak; 16th September 2013 at 02:02 AM.

Real Name
    Jon

This one would be pretty cool to shoot also...

if you can get your hands on one. This is only $600 (includes delivery though)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast