Thread: Volcano and sunset

Real Name
    Tony Watts

Volcano and sunset

This is a picture of an small island just north of the larger island of Flores in Indonesia that I took in May. The volcano erupted last month.

C&C please! The original image was wider than this and I am not sure how it should have been cropped.

Volcano and sunset
    +056A0615edited by tonyw36, on Flickr

Re: Volcano and sunset

I would have cropped out some of the water in the forground. Great shot and great colours.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Very nice shot Tony. I dont think I'd change the crop.

You've captured the sun in exactly the right spot I think.

Dave

Cropping a little from the bottom (say 3 x 2 ratio) would concentrate the view more on the sky and smoke.

But that reflection goes all the way to the image edge with the current crop.

Possibly a case of try a tighter crop then view the images side by side so you can decide which you like best.

Either way will work well.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Keep the width that you originally had and lose some of the fore ground to my way of thinking. Great shot.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Nandakumar

The waves and reflections up to the bottom is very vital to this image; but see 1/4th of the right part practically adds nothing to this image; so why try a crop away that way and make it a vertical seascape? i did that myself and found it more impressive
    The very image is outstanding though

Real Name
    Tommy

I think the colours are beautiful, and the reflections in the water are super. So before commenting on a crop, I'd like to see the original image...

One bug bear is that the horizon is not level, needing a slight clockwise rotation.

Please post the original image as i would love to see it and I'm sure it will give everyone a better opportunity to provide their comments on their preferred crop.

I think this has the makings of a really nice pic

Real Name
    Tony Watts

Thanks to everyone who has replied - I have been a bit slow to respond. Of course, I should have levelled the horizon. My excuse is that I was on a boat when I took the picture and the deck was not horizontal.

This is the original picture

Volcano and sunset
    056A0615 by tonyw36, on Flickr

On reflection (if I am allowed the pun), I think I would prefer a wider crop than the one I first put up.

Another view (unedited) of the scene taken a little later is

Volcano and sunset
    056A0622 by tonyw36, on Flickr

Real Name
    Richard

I love this image. The sun peaking from behind the volcano and the back lit plume of smoke combines into an exciting combination.

I was wondering if I would like a vertical composition a bit better so I tried it that way, The sun is at the intersection of the rule of thirds grid and the reflection in the ocean seems to be more of an integral part of the image. I also added a bit of contrast and a bit of saturation.

Volcano and sunset

However, the bottom portion of the ocean seems to blend with the CiC background color so I darkened the edges a bit and placed a frame around the image to delineate the edges...

Volcano and sunset

There is a bit of noise in this image but, some of that noise probably results from working with the image copied from CiC...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 18th September 2013 at 02:44 PM.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

^^^^ That was my intention