Thread: Art Form

Real Name
    John

Art Form

Spotted this in a Museum in Berlin. Not a new image. I originally had a colour pop in mind because the building is very nearly mono anyway but in the end I left it as it was. The title is meant to be a pun in that in the UK another word for a "bench" is a "Form". Not sure how universal that is though.

Olympus C8080
    1/50th sec @ f2.5 ISO 100

Art Form

Real Name
    Greg

Re: Art Form

That's really nice John,
    The painting leaps out at you with it's bright, bold colours and bench/form balances the image in a subtle way.
    Great composition.
    Cheers, Greg

Real Name
    Steven

I like the contrast of the pix and the form helped to balance it. If I am to be picky, the painting is not dead centre

Just to let you know, this is the first time I am coming across the word form = bench.

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by teokf View Post
    Just to let you know, this is the first time I am coming across the word form = bench.
    Opposite for me Steven

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

That a bench is called a form is also new to me and your explanation about that makes the photo even better.

My nitpick is that there is very slight but immediately noticeable perspective distortion; the two columns and the strong vertical lines in the background to the outside of the columns lean outward. However, I can't imagine that your camera placement could have caused that so perhaps it's an optical illusion.

Consider making this already marvelous image with a person sitting on the right side of the form looking at the painting. Choice of clothing, perhaps black, would be critical. I think the person's head should extend no higher than the railing, which may require using a child. I am imagining a person leaning somewhat backward with his or her hands resting on the back of the form.

Real Name
    John

Thanks to all for your comments.

You're right Steven. German museums, unlike most UK museums, don't seem to mind you using a camera on the premises but don't allow a flash or tripod. This was a hand held grab and it isn't quite central.

Mike, Eagle Eyes, you are quite right and I have never noticed that before. I can see how it's happened. In straightening the verticals in PP, I have lined up the sides of the pillars with the edge of the image but of course , the pillars are tapered. I will know in future.

As to the word "form", my wife tells me that it may well be just an expression used in the north of England but I see that it does appear (well down the list) in the Oxford English Dictionary and in Websters. Must be very old usage.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

John,
    Is this a captured image or a Photoshop created image? How much cloning did you do?

Real Name
    Nandakumar

You composed it really well; really nice

Real Name
    John

Thanks Andre, thanks Nandakumar. No Andre, it's a straight shot. It's had some PP in the form of contrast adjustment and the straightening of the verticals but that's all. The picture hangs at the top of the main staircase in the Alte Nationalgallerie in Berlin. I think it is called "The Symposium".

Real Name
    Christina

Stunning image...

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    As to the word "form", my wife tells me that it may well be just an expression used in the north of England but I see that it does appear (well down the list) in the Oxford English Dictionary and in Websters. Must be very old usage.
    John beautiful image. As for the word "form", I can advise that it is a term commonly used here in Australia, well at least with the older generations ! I can remember sitting on "forms" in school.

Dave

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

John, love your image. Agree with Mike's criticism and understand your comment back. I've tried these types of shots often and none have come out as good as yours.

karm

Real Name
    John

Thanks Christina, thanks Dave, thanks Karm.