Thread: Catching the drop

Real Name
    James

Catching the drop

Hello to everyone...it's been a while, changed jobs, moved house, moved the mother in law in with us :-) so hopefully can get back to taking pics...
    as ever with mine..any and all critique and feedback always welcome

Catching the drop

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Catching the drop

I've never tried this type of shot, but from previous threads by others, I do have an appreciation of the challenges it presents.

This is good. You've got the falling droplet well lined up against the darker part of the background.

It's that background that I find myself looking at and wondering. I think it gives the image strength by not being just a plain self-coloured background. And of course, the background gives the wonderful pattern on the falling droplet. On the other hand, there are 6 'bands' of tone and these are fighting with the primary subject for attention. So, it's not a straightforward one to call and i suppose that all I am doing in raising it as a question, is saying that we really need to think about the background for this sort of shot.

There, how's that for sitting-on-the-fence?

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Excellent work; well timed; i see an eye opening in the drop, that gives an added punch to the subject; i also recalled the Oriental thought that all of us are the tiny drops that came from and would return to the Ocean of Absolute Consciousness
    Regards

Real Name
    Christina

I think that your capture of the drop is amazing, as is the detail you captured in the bottom of the photo.

When I move your photo around I also like it cropped so all the attention is on the drop.

Real Name
    James

Thank you all for looking and commenting on my pictures as I really appreciate any and all comments, Christina, I did think of posting another one I took but did not feel it was worth it as it was slightly out of focus but will post it any way...what do you think...I would have named this one Deep Impact

Catching the drop

Real Name
    Christina

Hi James,

I adore the drop and I adore the title Deep Impact, but this 2nd image doesn't work for me, likely because of the soft focus on the front half, or maybe it is just that the drop with the reflection is so pretty and sharply focused that I adored that one. And I think I prefer the colour but that is just me as I like colour.

That said, I think Deep Impact has definite possibilities, ie; the center and the back half of the photo is very interesting against the bokeh. Very imaginative!
    Last edited by Brownbear; 16th September 2013 at 10:03 PM. Reason: add comment

Real Name
    Tony Watts

To me, both these pictures are absolutely fascinating. The timing is exquisite. The circular waves within the crater in the second picture are very interesting from the point of view of fluid mechanics.