Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My New D-SLR!

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

My New D-SLR!

Hi all, I finally bought the Nikon D3000, with kit lens.

Its gonna take a while for me to get hang of it, as I had been using a compact camera prior to this. Have downloaded the manual. Have to take out some time to read it.

These are the two macro shots I took last night.

My New D-SLR!

My New D-SLR!

Real Name
    John

Re: My New D-SLR!

Sahil,

I don't know when the D3000 was released but it usually takes a while before field guides are published specifically for your model. I purchased my D60 in 2008 and I have only found three books for my model. Of course, there are many other field guides available that will provide you with good advice. I sometimes use "The Basic Book of Photography" written by Tom and Michele Grimm, originally published in 1974 and reprinted in 1999 when I purchased it. This was when digital camera resolution was still measured in pixels and the cameras cost thousands of dollars.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Oh! Thanks, Shadowman.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    Hi all, I finally bought the Nikon D3000, with kit lens.

~

These are the two macro shots I took last night.
    Hi Sahil,

Couldn't wait for daylight eh?

Congrats on the new purchase

There are quite a few D3000 or D5000 owners here already, as you probably know, so if there's anything not obvious from the manual, just ask, I'm sure we can help.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Thanks, Dave. I really couldn't wait (obviously )

Yes, I am counting on the members of CiC and I always have found them so very helpful and passionate about imparting knowledge.

Going out now, (18:00) I wanna try my hand on long exposure shots.

Congrats on your purchase, Sahil. Take 30 mins at night before you go to bed; reviewing your owner's manual each night. The manual does not tell you how to take pictures, but how the camera work. The biggest frustration for many beginners is the result of purely "human error", easily be avoided by just reading the manual.

A great series and book that will easily help you on the right track are Bryan Peterson's series are:

Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera
    Understanding Shutter Speed: Creative Action and Low-Light Photography Beyond 1/125 Second
    Learning to See Creatively: Design, Color & Composition in Photography

Bryan writes in a way that any beginner can easily follow, and he will teach you the basic terminologies as well as techniques (along with practice assignments) that will get you on your way.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Thanks, Amberglass. Points taken.

Here are a few shots from the evening. Just trying my hand on long exposure shots.

One of the roundabouts from Chandigarh, the City Beautiful.

My New D-SLR!

How could have I taken these buildings straight.

My New D-SLR!

Fountains at my favourite hangout. A shopping plaza in Sector 17, Chandigarh. (I am not into shopping though.)

My New D-SLR!

My New D-SLR!

I had no tripod. Kept the camera either on some railing or on the top of the car.

The colors imparted on the fountain by the lights is great. I think you might be able to get something really special if you can get in tight on one of the spouts when it's well illuminated.

Congrats on the new equipment.

Britt

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Thanks, Britt. But the problem would be the level from where I would be taking the shot. If you would notice, there are railings around the fountains. I had kept my camera on those railings. I so wanted to take this shot from the ground level. I'll try a single spout sometime.

Ahhh. I understand completely. Well, I advise you not to do something foolish and jump into the water for the picture (because that's the kind of thing I do)... the police are never very forgiving.

Britt

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Come over to India and I assure you that you won't have to worry about the police

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    How could have I taken these buildings straight?

My New D-SLR!
    Hi Sahil,

You did very well keeping the camera so still without a tripod.

To answer the question above; I think it would be difficult with what you have. The shops were already taken at 18mm, which I am guessing is as wide as the lens you have goes.

Only by getting far enough away and keeping the camera dead horizontally level; i.e. by aiming at something on the shop buildings that are the same height as the camera is, would it be possible. Then you would still need to crop off about half the image, because there would be too much foreground. Best shot in portrait orientation.

The alternatives are:
    a) an expensive tilt-shift lens - there is a tutorial here at CiC on them, or
    b) do it with your Photoshop CS2, I'm sure that must have a perspective correction capability, it may be called "transform" - perhaps one of the CS users could help with some guidance.

This is a quick go with Elements;
    My New D-SLR!

BTW, Even for PP, it helps to be "square on" to the buuildings, not shooting at an angle as here.

I do like the fountain shots though, I can see why you like to hang out there.
    A first night's shoot to be proud of, well done.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 5th January 2010 at 09:55 PM. Reason: add modified image

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Thanks a lot Dave.
    Err.. an expensive lens, right now? I can't even imagine one. I am broke already.
    As it is, it is gonna take a while for me to get a hang of the camera as-is.

And its quite foggy here these days and I am tempted to take a shot in the fog. What are the points to be kept in mind and any settings recommended?

Hi Sahil
    Nice colourful pictures.
    There is a tutorial for fog and mist https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tu...hotography.htm.
    It was that tutorial that led me to these forums.
    I am broke already
    I know the feeling, it's not a cheap hobby!
    Bill

Real Name
    Wendy

Cogratulations, glad to know you finally got your camera. Great shots so far, and I'm looking forward to more. I have a D3000 too, and I think I'll be asking you for advice.

Wendy

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Sahil

Congratulations from me too. A much better set of images that I produced when I first got a D-SLR.

One of the challenges that I think you will experience is that you want to do everything with what you've got. And when you realise that you cannot, you get frustrated because you do not have the finance available to buy that extra item that (you think) will do what you want. Certainly this is what I, and I suspect others, have experienced.

In trying to temper these urges, my guide was the attitude of former golf champion Lee Trevino (which I have quoted here before). His belief was that you acquire one golf club. And then you practice until you learn absolutely everything that can be done with that one club. And then you acquire a second golf club and do the same thing.

My advice is that you master what you have available to you now - your camera and your lens. You work within the limitations set by them, but stretch those capabilities as far as you can. And keep enjoying what you do.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Wendy, Advice from ME? You kidding me, right? I think I am the most unaccomplished photographer here. I would feel highly flattered, if I could be of ANY help to ANYONE here.

Thanks a lot, Donald. Well this machine has already got me amazed. The wide area it covers has already surprised me. I don't feel handicapped in anyways, at all. But yea, at times I wish I had little more zoom. But I am just too happy with it
    Yes, I intend to stretch my capabilities as far as possible. There is SOOO MUCH to learn.
    Thanks everyone, for the comments and guidance. I love this forum.

Real Name
    Wendy

Wendy, Advice from ME? You kidding me, right?
    Nope, not kidding! Your enthusiasm shows in your photos and you have a great eye. I am truly looking forward to seeing more of your work, and I don't doubt for a second that you will be able to advise me with technical help on the camera.

For instance, I would love to know what settings you used for your nightshots. Did you just have it on automatic, or did you select specific settings for these shots?

Wendy

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Sahil

Congratulations from me too. A much better set of images that I produced when I first got a D-SLR.

One of the challenges that I think you will experience is that you want to do everything with what you've got. And when you realise that you cannot, you get frustrated because you do not have the finance available to buy that extra item that (you think) will do what you want. Certainly this is what I, and I suspect others, have experienced.

In trying to temper these urges, my guide was the attitude of former golf champion Lee Trevino (which I have quoted here before). His belief was that you acquire one golf club. And then you practice until you learn absolutely everything that can be done with that one club. And then you acquire a second golf club and do the same thing.

My advice is that you master what you have available to you now - your camera and your lens. You work within the limitations set by them, but stretch those capabilities as far as you can. And keep enjoying what you do.
    When I first purchased my D-SLR I had the option of switching out the 18-55mm for a 55-200mm lense. I am glad I didn't, however within two weeks I ended up purchasing the 55-200mm lens anyway. There have been so many times when the 18-55m lens was the better choice for certain shooting conditions.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Errr.. Wendy, I had set the camera mode to S and set the shutter speed. Nothing more to it. I have always had a thing for long exposure shots.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast