Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikon D7000 - New or Refurbished?

Real Name
    Shane

Nikon D7000 - New or Refurbished?

I think that I have pretty much settled on getting a D7000 to replace my D40X and have been looking around at prices. B&H is offering a new (body only) for $896 and a factory refurbished body at $689 plus $30 shipping to Hawaii.

Should I have any reservations about buying a refurbished body to save $170?

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Re: Nikon D7000 - New or Refurbished?

Shane if you can afford the $170 get the one in the box. If $170 is a lot of money to you, get the refurbished body, if it was done by Nikon. You should get a guarantee on a refurbished body.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneS View Post
    Should I have any reservations about buying a refurbished body to save $170?
    None whatsoever. If I had been able to find a refurbished D7000 when I bought mine, I would have bought it in a heart beat. I would have done the same when I bought my wife's D5100.

The best values of my photo gear have all been purchased used. The only gear that I own that has failed has been gear that was purchased new and failed after the warranty expired. None of the gear that I purchased used has ever failed. I realize that this data is only anecdotal, but I believe it is worth considering.

Consider all of the new gear that has been returned to the manufacturer during the warranty period because it did not work properly. I have never heard of refurbished gear being returned during its warranty period, though that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 12th September 2013 at 10:43 AM.

To put B&H's value into perspective, you're probably aware that Nikon is selling refurbished D7000s for $90 more than B&H. Nikon also assesses a shipping surcharge for shipping to Hawaii, though I don't know how much.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 12th September 2013 at 10:47 AM.

Real Name
    Lex

If it was refurbished at the factory or by a Nikon repair center, odds are that its performance has been tested and its parts validated more extensively than when it was first made. Personally, I have no qualms at all about manufacturer-refurbished gear.

Quote Originally Posted by RustBeltRaw View Post
    If it was refurbished at the factory or by a Nikon repair center
    The product is advertised as being "refurbished by the Manufacturer to original company's specifications."

Real Name
    Graham Serretta

Quote Originally Posted by RustBeltRaw View Post
    If it was refurbished at the factory or by a Nikon repair center, odds are that its performance has been tested and its parts validated more extensively than when it was first made. Personally, I have no qualms at all about manufacturer-refurbished gear.
    I second what Lex has said.

Real Name
    Hendrik

The major argument for buying new is the length of the warranty. I just bought a Nikon-refurbished lens (20mm f/2.8D) and, rather than a 5-year warranty, I had to settle for a much shorter term. I thought the risk attendant with a simple, prime lens to be low enough to be acceptable … For Me. I have bought lenses used, too, though only non-VR.

Despite having just bought a used OM-D M-5 (with 30-day return rights - which explains why none of my photographs have been made with any other camera in the interim), I would much rather pay premium on a body and get the full term warranty. In the past I have had two major body failures. One would have been within the refurbished term but the other wasn't. I have also had warranty service on an older lens (70-200 VR) twice. One service was definitely outside what would have been the refurbished warranty period. In fact, both services were for left-right differential focus issues, i.e., VR problems.

The argument that new cameras get returned at a high rate may not take into account all the instances of double and triple ordering when the bodies are the new hot item or how they become the victims of unreasonable expectations when they turn out to be just cameras and don't actually serve to upgrade the wetware behind the sensor. I suspect those returns get put through a check process not much more rigorous than the factory checkout and, with a little cleaning and polishing here and there, are anointed refurbished as a consequence. I suspect this represents the majority of the high turnover of D600s, for example. The dust storm fed on itself, diminishing the tolerance of many owners, thus elevating expectations beyond the point that the camera could deliver. But, with the perception that the camera has been massaged to meet spec (even if no correctives other than a Very Thorough sensor cleaning were applied), not to mention a substantially reduced price, a different level of satisfaction is achieved. Are the savings sufficient to pay for the first service? That's the gamble.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

What Hendrik writes with regard to the warranty is valid.

The cost of warranty maintenance is built into the purchase price of any product. I expect the reason for the reduced price is indeed the fact that there is a very limited warranty offered on a refurbished camera, which significantly reduces the distributor's financial risk on the product.

Real Name
    Siggi-short for Siegfried

Agree with Andre-the D7000 new price has come down,get it new if you can.As previously discussed-used lenses is one thing but bodies if possible buy new.

Real Name
    Shane

Thanks to everyone for their input on this...it makes sense to me that the additional cost relates to a longer warranty so I will research that before I make my final decision.

I start a photo class on September 19th that runs for four months so I hope to put the new body to good use

Real Name
    Richard

I cannot speak for Nikon but, Canon refurbished items go through a more stringent quality control than the items which come off the assembly line.

I have purchased 4 refurbished SLR cameras after I had to send in my first two "new" cameras for service within the first 90-days of purchase. I have had no problems with any of the four cameras with which I have been shooting for years.

I have heard, but have not checked out, that Canon has extended the warranty on refurbished units to match the one-year warranty of new gear. I have purchased one Canon 7D from Canon using their Canon Loyalty Program and I purchased the second 7D from Adorama as a Canon Refurbished Item. It was on sale and I did not have to pay shipping (within the lower 48 states) or California State Sales Tax. That made it considerably less expensive than buying from the Canon store on-line which charges both State Sales Tax and shipping.

I will never buy a camera any other way...

Real Name
    Joe

I agree with Richard regarding more stringent quality control for refurbished items. I only buy factory refurbished cameras and lenses.

Real Name
    Patrick

Cameta offers a full year warranty on their factory refurbished cameras and they have D7000 for the same price as B&H. I haven't personally ordered refurbished gear from them yet but I've only heard good things from others including from my brother.

http://www.cameta.com/Nikon-D7000-Di...shed-57819.cfm

Real Name
    Shane

Has anyone dealt with Cameta for refurbished camera bodies and gear before? Good or bad experience?

Thanks Richard, Joe & Patrick for the encouragement

Check this for lots of favorable comments about Cameta's refurbished cameras with no negative comments. Also an interesting comment about obtaining an additional year of warranty when purchasing from Adorama.

Real Name
    Shane

Thanks Mike, I saw that when I searched around and wanted to see if any active CiC members had experience with the vendor. I'm really, really close to hitting the buy button

Real Name
    Shane

I did it! I just hit the buy now button and should be getting my refurbished D7000 sometime next week

Now I'm off to the used book store to see if I can score a user manual to supplement the one that will come with the camera...sounds like there will be a bit of a learning curve but I am up for the challenge!

Congratulations, Shane!

When ordering books online, I always purchase used books when they are available. Every book has been at least in nearly pristine condition. In fact, I have always hoped that one advantage of ordering used books is that someone might have written notes in the margins. Sadly, I have never received a book that had those notes.

Real Name
    Shane

I haven't ordered used books online in the past but have had good luck with two brick and mortar shops in town here. I recently scored a copy of Scott Kelby's 7 point System of Adobe Photoshop CS3 for $1. Even though I have CS5 it has been helpful to work through the lessons.

Fingers crossed that I have similar luck with a user guide for the new camera. Any titles or authors in particular that I should look for?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast