Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Island/ Swans Help

Real Name
    Terri

Island/ Swans Help

Here I am again...any imput on this photo we be great. Island/ Swans Help

Swans...First off, would you advise cropping close to them?? Also color to me looks a little lackluster...Obviously I need to straighten. I was laying on the dock trying to get a pic of them.Island/ Swans Help Please help!

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Re: Island/ Swans Help

i think you can add a bit of saturation in the first
    The heavy tilt in the second could have corrected before posting; they are far away to impress
    Regards

Real Name
    Joe

Hello Terri, I had a go at your image... this is what I think you can do. I did a constrained crop of 16x9, straightened the image and cloned out the island and buoy that were distracting. I dodged the head and necks of both swans to lighten that area and the bodies had a couple hot spots that I burned to darken them. If you have the original as a RAW file yours would be so much better that the work I did on the JPG. I sharpened the image confining it to the edges and not the water. Then I added a post crop vignette to focus attention to the birds. Below is how I might do your image.

Island/ Swans Help

The island certainly looks better at full screen size.

But for me, the island is fairly centred with nothing of any real interest on the right side. So I would crop a little tighter on the right and the same amount from the bottom; or the top, or a bit from both.

There is quite a bit of rather plain water and sky which can be reduced slightly with no problem. I would try several versions then decide.

Real Name
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    i think you can add a bit of saturation in the first
    The heavy tilt in the second could have corrected before posting; they are far away to impress
    Regards
    I agree.....

Real Name
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by jprzybyla View Post
    Hello Terri, I had a go at your image... this is what I think you can do. I did a constrained crop of 16x9, straightened the image and cloned out the island and buoy that were distracting. I dodged the head and necks of both swans to lighten that area and the bodies had a couple hot spots that I burned to darken them. If you have the original as a RAW file yours would be so much better that the work I did on the JPG. I sharpened the image confining it to the edges and not the water. Then I added a post crop vignette to focus attention to the birds. Below is how I might do your image. Wow!! I just started taking photos so I'v got alot to learn...this is great. I haven't taken in raw yet...should...I use PSE and it doesn't recognize raw files as of yet. I'm looking at either upgrading or a converter...I imagine you use Photoshop which is what I really want! I just noticed you use PSE 10....

Island/ Swans Help

Real Name
    Terri

Thanks again!

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Quote Originally Posted by jprzybyla View Post
    Hello Terri, I had a go at your image... this is what I think you can do. I did a constrained crop of 16x9, straightened the image and cloned out the island and buoy that were distracting. I dodged the head and necks of both swans to lighten that area and the bodies had a couple hot spots that I burned to darken them. If you have the original as a RAW file yours would be so much better that the work I did on the JPG. I sharpened the image confining it to the edges and not the water. Then I added a post crop vignette to focus attention to the birds. Below is how I might do your image.

Island/ Swans Help
    I never thought a trim out from that could yield this much sharp result ; excellent