Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Trying to test an used 430ex ii

Real Name
    Redhwan

Trying to test an used 430ex ii

Greetings,

Annnnd finally I got my hands on an used flash unit, the canon 430ex ii.

The flash was used for around a year and half, there are scratches but its fine, judging from the feel of the flash, it was handled pretty roughly, there is a lil' scratchy on the far left edge of the light-surface which I think is fine as well.
    There are marks of batteries being left in the flash for long enough to effect the metals which holds the batteries between them, but the effect is not that bad and am told that the flash functions completely fine.

But I would like to know if there's anything I am missing like, if there is an x amount of times the flash can fire then the bulbs dies, and how to decide on those values. .

I want to know if this flash would be usable for a few more years.

Real Name
    Lex

Re: Trying to test an used 430ex ii

There's no hard number for when a flash will fail. The harder it's used, the fewer flashes you'll get, and I don't believe the flash counts the number of times it fires. If the TTL function seems reasonably accurate, the batteries don't get too warm, and the recharge times are still decent, then it's in good working order. But there's no way to know how long they'll last. I burned out a 580EX II's power supply earlier this year (the flash was bought new about 8 months earlier), but that was in pretty extreme circumstances.

Use it and pray. Unless there's something I don't know, that's basically all you can do.

Real Name
    Richard

I would test the flash in automatic mode and see how the exposure looks.

Not to cast any clouds but, I generally don't purchase used gear that looks like it has not been taken care of well. Scratches, dings and the residue from leaving the batteries in the unit "MAY" and I stress "MAY" be indicative of harder use. However, if the price is right, it might be worth taking a chance on!

Real Name
    Redhwan

The flash seems to be functioning the way it should be (this is the first time I use a flash I still dont know if I missed anything), the price... ermmm... its worth it for me because I can't & could't pay even 40$ more than I did.

I have really tight budget... so I did gamble...

Thanks for your replies. ^_^

I don't think you can tell, because when a flash fires, it generates a lot of heat. If its used at full power with strong batteries, and fired as frequently as it will allow, you will put a lot more wear on it than the same number of shots made infrequently with ordinary TTL @ 1/4 power.

Most 430 owners aren't hard on the flash, because such users are pros who will buy the higher-end models.

Real Name
    Yes

If it has been used with batteries that have leaked a little then you knoiw its been used with alkaline batteries (or possibly zinc carbon) which will not allow very fast recycling times which is ehat tends to reduce the life of the flash turb and electronics - which is why canon flashes have a thermal cut out, If the corrosion is not bad then go fot it. Cosmetic scratches are that.