Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Silent Monuments in a Wintry Graveyard

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Silent Monuments in a Wintry Graveyard

Last one, I think, from yesterday's few hours wandering thigh deep in snow in the old graveyard on the hillside above Glenfarg (trying to avoid leaving tracks on the areas I wanted to capture). C & C appreciated.

Silent Monuments in a Wintry Graveyard
    40D, 70-200 f4L IS@70mm. ISO 100. 1/1250@f9. Manual, Spot metered.

Real Name
    Wendy

Re: Silent Monuments in a Wintry Graveyard

Last one, I think
    Hi Donald:
    I've only seen 3 and all of them are amazing, I would not mind seeing more. I wish I was better with words, but all I can say is that I love what you are doing with these B&Ws. The lighting on this one is so perfect, and I just like to look at it.

I don't even see anything that I'd want to crop. I always pick on cropping, because it's one of the few things I know how to do.

I do see one little white speck on the right that I don't think is supposed to be there, it's really tiny, I just noticed it now, just a little below the halfway point from the top and a little in on the right.

Looking forward to seeing more

Wendy
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 4th January 2010 at 08:36 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Wendy
    I've only seen 3 and all of them are amazing, I would not mind seeing more.
    I'm still going through them, but don't think there are any other 'keepers'. I was very pleased that I got three that were, in my view anyway, worth doing something with.

I think this is the first time I've ever come back in from a shoot and felt I had three that were worth hanging onto. However, rather than feeling pleased that I must be starting to do something right, I immediately thought I must be lowering my tolerances and accepting stuff that was 'less good' (blame the Scottish presbyterian upbringing!!). Having said that, I think I am now getting much more critical of my own work. Had a look back at some stuff which, 6 months ago, I felt quite pleased with, and thought it wasn't good enough. But that's what the learning process has been about.

I do see one little white speck on the right that I don't think is supposed to be there
    Go it. Thanks. will zap it.

wandering thigh deep in snow in the old graveyard on the hillside above Glenfarg (trying to avoid leaving tracks on the areas I wanted to capture)
    Hope the sun didn't rise before you had finished...only kidding. Yet another image full of mood and drama. I cannot really fault this but in terms of composition I personally would have tried to get more of the headstone against that dramatic sky.

I immediately thought I must be lowering my tolerances and accepting stuff that was 'less good' (blame the Scottish presbyterian upbringing!!)
    I just conceive hundreds of images and hope that one will go into orders....that must be the Irish Catholic upbringing

Steve

Real Name
    Steve

Love the lighting in this one donald. The only thing that bothers me, (and it might be my junk computor at work) is i can't tell it's a graveyard. The mood is there,but i just wish there was a silhouette of a cross or 'something' that tells me its a graveyard. If you wouldn't have said it was a graveyard, i would have been wondering what i was looking at. I'll have to look again when i get home.............this screen makes everything darker.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Steve
    ...but in terms of composition I personally would have tried to get more of the headstone against that dramatic sky.
    Steve S
    The only thing that bothers me, (and it might be my junk computor at work) is I can't tell it's a graveyard
    The exact two points that bothered me.

I liked the light and texture opportunties that were presented. But was acutely aware of the points you've made above.

Steve's point is just a result of bad composition and, therefore, my stupidity. I could have got the headstone more against the sky. Given that we've got the snow and ice up until at least the weekend (according to the BBC weather forecast), I'll go up again on Saturday to see if the sky will be kind.

Re Steve S's point - Indeed, I wanted to just call it 'Silent Monuments', but appreciated no-one would know it was a graveyard. Ergo - it doesn't tell the story that was intended. So, by many reasonable definitions, is not a good image. Maybe 'Silent Stones' would have been better and not tried to milk the graveyard element of it.
    Last edited by Donald; 4th January 2010 at 09:33 PM.