Thread: Smooth and Spikey

Real Name
    Greg

Smooth and Spikey

I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time of day to catch the afternoon illuminating these cacti, and I was initially taken by the contrast between the red spikes and green leaves. But as I stood trying to focus on the spikes I noticed the tonal variation in the blurry background. So I limited the focus to only one spike and hoped to capture the tones rather than the detail of the plants.

Both images are an attempt at minimalism, but maybe there is too much in them to be considered minimalist?

I have adjusted the saturation a little, just to bring out what I saw, and applied a bit of sharpening to the one spike.

C&C welcome.

Smooth and Spikey

24-105/f4 @ 105mm, f4.5, 1/250, iso 200

Smooth and Spikey

24-105/f4 @ 105mm, f8 1/320, iso 400

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Re: Smooth and Spikey

Greg, it is definitely interesting. I like the contrast between the red and green. That single spike in focus works for me.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

I'm liking the first one better...as hindsight, might have tried to just focus on the thorn and not the leaf.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

I really like such beauty of simplicity, especially when it is so impressive
    Really well done, especially the first one

Real Name
    Greg

Thanks for viewing and comments, Andre, WM and Nandaumar.

I was focusing on a single thorn although the wind kept blowing the plant about and there were several misses. I was shooting from just about the closest focusing distance but in retrospect, I think maybe I should have taken a step or two backwards and then zoomed in on the crop. Live and learn.