Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: In Ernie's, Juneau, Alaska

In Ernie's, Juneau, Alaska

An unusual composition, but it grabbed me as I was waiting for another ale, and it is as it came from the camera, except for a little post-processing to get the colors right. Comments?

In Ernie's, Juneau, Alaska

Real Name
    Wendy

Re: In Ernie's, Juneau, Alaska

Hi Tom: I like this. Colours look great, it might be just me but it looks a little crooked, and I might try cropping (I always want to crop something, sorry) or somehow removing the stools and what I think is a coat hanging at the bottom right. That probably means the door would have to go, which might not look as good. I don't know, If it was my photo I'd be trying it.

I wonder if this might make it into the "Lifestyles" section of Alaskan promo material. (just kidding) Great shot, it made me smile.

Please note, comments above are from a casual observer viewpoint.

Wendy

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Tom

I'm with Wendy in liking this. For me it tells a strong story. I would call it a photo-essay. I'm not so bothered by the stools and coat on the hook. The bit that I thought was a distraction is bottom left. Is that the corner of the bar? If you had taken one step to the right you would have reduced its significance (and got rid of the stools for Wendy).

ps - Go back, have another beer and shoot it again!
    Last edited by Donald; 4th January 2010 at 05:44 PM.

Real Name
    Wendy

For me it tells a strong story. I would call it a photo-essay.
    Exactly! that's what I wanted to say and couldn't find the words. photo-essay describes it perfectly.

Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Tom

I'm with Wendy in liking this. For me it tells a strong story. I would call it a photo-essay. I'm not so bothered by the stools and coat on the hook. The bit that I thought was a distraction is bottom left. Is that the corner of the bar? If you had taken one step to the right you would have reduced its significance (and got rid of the stools for Wendy).
    That bit at bottom left is part of a game table. The camera was resting on the bar and I just turned it around, checked the composition and pressed the button. Thanks, everybody, for the comments and suggestions! Oh, Alaskan Amber is really good ale. I had a couple, waiting for the better half.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Oh, Alaskan Amber is really good ale. I had a couple, waiting for the better half.
    It has to be better than that awful stuff advertised on the poster above!!