Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sunset at Whity, England

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Sunset at Whity, England

It's that time of year in the Northern Hemisphere when we have returned from our vacations with the holiday snaps and proudly want to bore the relatives and friends with slideshows, when they only came to visit for the wine and tapas.

Since I can't give you wine and tapas, I'll tone down my slideshow and just present one photo that I particularly liked; not so much for the skill in its taking, but for the beautiful light that fell over Whitby in England's North Yorkshire. I didn't increase the saturation or overdo the contrast; it really was like this. I left the foreground in shadow because I think it reflects my recollection of the scene; at least, it is the impression that I was left with.

Sunset at Whity, England
    Canon 40D; fl 17mm; 1/160s at f/9; ISO 160

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Tony

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Sunset at Whity, England

Very nice Tony. I think you'd have to classify that as something more than a holiday snap ! Lovely light and I agree that the foreground should remain darkish.

We visited that spot a few years ago and I have memories of a similar late evening there eating fish and chips (with mushy peas of course) by the seaside. It's a lovely spot.

Dave

Real Name
    Kevin

Gorgeous, Tony. Light to die (and live) for. I cant wait to get to Yorkshire.

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Re: Sunset at Whitby, England

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Very nice Tony. I think you'd have to classify that as something more than a holiday snap ! Lovely light and I agree that the foreground should remain darkish.

We visited that spot a few years ago and I have memories of a similar late evening there eating fish and chips (with mushy peas of course) by the seaside. It's a lovely spot.

Dave
    I also had the fish and chips and mushy peas - lovely.

Unfortunately I spelt the name wrong in the title: it's Whitby, not Whity. I'll try changing it in this post - we'll see if it works.

Tony

Real Name
    John

Very photogenic place Whitby and you have caught it in one of it's nicer moods. Good image. Early morning? Sun seems to be in the East.

Real Name
    Tony Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    Very photogenic place Whitby and you have caught it in one of it's nicer moods. Good image. Early morning? Sun seems to be in the East.
    Hi John,

It was taken in the late afternoon. The sun was behind me.

Cheers

Tony