Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: I can't get my mind around this one...

Real Name
    Richard

I can't get my mind around this one...

I want to have some stretched canvas prints done with a 1.5 inch wrap on all four sides. It should be pretty easy to figure out the image size that I should send the company. Simply add 3 inches to each dimension. That will do it but, how can I see exactly how the framed image will look minus the wrap. In other words, if I want a framed image that is 10 inches by 10 inches (I am just using this as an example) and I crop te image to 13 inches by 13 inches. How can I see exactly where the 10 inch by 10 inch crop will be?

I know that this should be simple but, I just cannot figure it out! Please give my addled old brain some help!

Real Name
    Andrew

Re: I can't get my mind around this one...

Richard, if I understand you correctly, won't the framed image just be the exact centre 10"x10" of your 13"x13" original?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Richard - in Photoshop just set up a 13 x 13 image and add guidelines that are 1-1/2" from all four edges. Drop your image on top; the parts inside the guidelines will be the main image and the parts between the guidelines and edges will be the wrap around.

Real Name
    Richard

Thanks for the help Manfred. I knew that it would be something relatively simple like that but, I just couldn't figure it out!

Real Name
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I want to have some stretched canvas prints done with a 1.5 inch wrap on all four sides. It should be pretty easy to figure out the image size that I should send the company.
    If it's of any other use to you, of the 3 times that I've had prints made into canvas, the company that I deal with 'adds' the extra needed edge of photo to produce the wrap around (to match that side of the photograph) to the print. So if I want an 10"x10" finished product, I send them a 10"x10" photo. They do the rest.

Maybe your company doesn't do it the same though.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Another way of doing it is in photoshop go to files/new and open a 10"x10" photo with either a white or transparent background. Go to canvas size and increase size by 3" for both horizontal and vertical using a black or grey fill colour. Copy background to a new layer, select the white centre and delete. Go back to bottom layer and import/copy you image beneath the copied layer. The top copied layer will act as a visual mask and you can reduce it's transparency to make sure you move or scale your image so it is positioned as required.
    Last edited by pnodrog; 7th September 2013 at 06:17 AM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

All I do is turn on the rulers (ctrl+R) and then mark out a crop (but don't "hit the button" to apply it). It automatically dims the area outside of the crop.