Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Miscellaneous

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

Miscellaneous

I am sorry I have not posted on anything as of late. Work has left me numb of mind, spirit and drained of anything original to say.

In the past week, I started taking pictures again. Some I like, some I don't.

1. View from Beautiful Ridge Road (where I live).
    This is not the best picture. I think I have over-cooked it. Or perhaps a view like this is passe?
    Miscellaneous

2. At the Farmer's Market.
    This is okay, but may only appeal to a few.
    Miscellaneous

3. My clematis - Avante Guarde after the main petals have fallen off. I liked the little tassel and the pastel colours.
    Miscellaneous

4. Our landlord's barn. We live on a small portion of their farm.
    This is another one I could not make right in color, so I processed in Alien Skin, Exposure 4.
    Miscellaneous

5. This morning's dew on wildflowers. Just not sure of this one either. I wonder if it would look better reversed. Somehow, regardless of the blurred background, it just looks too busy to me.
    Miscellaneous

6. This one I liked - almost like a secret garden.
    Miscellaneous

Please comment.

Marie

Real Name
    Shane

Re: Miscellaneous

Marie;

No need to apologize - we have all been there from time to time (unfortunately)...

1. View from Beautiful Ridge Road - what a lovely view and not passe for me. I do think that the greens in the foreground are a bit over saturated which may be what is giving you the impression that it is overcooked.

2. At the Farmer's Market - count me as one who this image appeals to. I like the depth of field and the way your eye is drawn through the image. The background on the upper right is a bit bright and completes the rich colors of the vegetables and I wonder if darkening it a bit would work?

6. Secret garden - This is my favorite too and my fist thought upon viewing it is that the spiders that call these home must be huge! The web looks almost like rope and the soft light at the top adds some mystery to the images. Great capture.

I wonder about a very slight crop from the bottom and left side of #1 to reduce the impact of the dark grass but I'm not sure. And I really mean very slight!

With #2, I would have preferred the foreground items to be sharp, fading towards the rear doesn't matter so much. Under ideal circumstances I suppose this sort of scene requires a merge of two shots on a tripod with different focus points.

#3 and #4 both work fine.

#5 has too much out of focus and distracting background for me. I think it needs a really close shot/crop to work well.

And #6 is excellent. Potentially a rather confused scene but those sunlit spider webs grab the attention and successfully overcome any problems.

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

Thank you, Shane for your comments. My goal is to get out every day this month rather than wallow.

Geoff, I appreciate your honesty. I will try your crop suggestion on #1. #2, It was such a bright day, I could have easily upped the f-stop. I am guilty of focusing on the midground - a bad habit. #5 did bother me and your words made the "why" gell.

Again, thanks for helping me out.

Marie

Real Name
    Bruce

Marie, nice set of photos. #2 is my favorite. IMHO you nailed that particular photo.

Bruce

Real Name
    Nandakumar

A nice series..... Your secret garden is really really awesome....it forces me to write a story
    Clematis is lovely...
    Still life of vegetables is lively
    all others are fine too

Real Name
    Greg

Marie, all really nice but #2 is my pick.
    It is one of those images that makes me think, I have seen that! Why didn't I take that photo
    Maybe a greater dof would be an improvement but I will let you know when I take one as good as yours.
    Cheers, Greg