Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Bald Eagle

Real Name
    Ali

Bald Eagle

Went to the zoo last week. Had some good shots, but reflections in the glass and glare from the light spoiled a lot of them. This was the best of the lot, shot through the wire fence. C and C welcome.

f5.6, 1/160, iso:800, 55-250 @250
    Bald Eagle

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Re: Bald Eagle

Hi Ali,

One thing I have learned in photography is that you cannot always get the shot you really want. Shooting in a zoo is not ideal and it is difficult with all the fencing and really distracting backgrounds.

You got a good shot here. Colour and exposure looks good and the eye of the eagle is sharp. Well done.

Real Name
    Christina

I agree with Andre, nice exposure and focus, and a beautiful sharp eye.

The only shots I've ever managed to capture through a wire fence at the zoo is when the critter had a decent background behind him/her and I was able to point my lens through the wire opening (sufficiently large), blur the background with a large aperture and zoom in close. And the majority of my shots had the reflections of the wire on the critter.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

You got the sharp features of the eagle....... what is a bit distracting is the thick pipe or some thing seen in front of the bird, to the left
    Regards

Real Name
    Ali

Andre

Thanks for your comments. It is really hard to shoot at the zoo with the reflections and all. This eagle was one of the few displays that had a wire fence that I could shoot through.

Real Name
    Ali

Christina,

Thank you for commenting. You must have wild eagles where you live. Bald eagles are a rare sight around here, although I have heard that there are some bald eagles nesting along the Merrimack river in north eastern Massachusetts. I plan to go there and hopefully see one.

Real Name
    Ali

Nandakumar,

Thanks for commenting. That object is a limb from a tree the eagles use for a perch. I cropped some of it from the left. I'll try a tighter crop.

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Ali,

And thank you for sharing your wildlife photos.

Yes, indeed we do have wild eagles here. This spring and summer I tried to capture a decent shot of an eagle several times but I failed miserably because either I couldn't get close enough (perched too high in the trees in the forest and in no mood to come down) or I just flubbed the shot.

They are not around right now but this winter and early spring I hope to try again...

Quote Originally Posted by ajsmith View Post
    Christina,

Thank you for commenting. You must have wild eagles where you live. Bald eagles are a rare sight around here, although I have heard that there are some bald eagles nesting along the Merrimack river in north eastern Massachusetts. I plan to go there and hopefully see one.