Thread: Do ya want PS CC

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Do ya want PS CC

I just got this link that I'm gonna jump on...http://www.imaging-resource.com/news...storage-for-10

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Re: Do ya want PS CC

I'll be honest, I'm a still a bit baffled by this.

I have a "boxed" CS5. I'm quite happy with this. I've tried CS6 (trial) and didn't feel the need to upgrade as yet. (Normally Adobe would create a few upgrades before the version you own became irrelevant for upgrade)

So today Adobe announce the $9.99 per month for PS CC and LR and other stuff. Sounds good to me. Works out around £6.40.

But what happens if I'm not really happy with this system? i.e. what happens to my existing software?

Can I go back to it?

Am I being a bit thick?

The thing is, I've had a few problems with Adobe in the past. Namely transferring PS from one laptop to another. Countless times.

Is anybody else feeling just a little bit the same way?

Real Name
    Homer

This is the package I was hoping Adobe would offer. I'm in!

Real Name
    Richard

If I hadn't purchased the boxed CS6 program on a three day sale and, if I wasn't totally happy with the combination of CS6 and my NIK software suite, I would be quite tempted to get this.

Real Name
    Gary

There seems to be a slight caveat with this offer in that you already have to have Photoshop CS3 or higher. So, it's not encouraging people like myself who use Photoshop Elements to be able to make the transition to using Photoshop?

Gary

Real Name
    Greg

I still have a lot to learn with CS6 which I bought late last year so I think an upgrade at this point in time would be of no great advantage to me

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I resisted switching to CC for about a year, but made the leap a couple of months ago. In my case, I use a number of Adobe products, so the option I use is a bit more expensive.

The Photoshop option also gives your Bridge and Lightroom 5, as well as 20GB of online storage and includes a Behance account for your portfolio. All in all, a pretty good deal for $10/month.

In my view, the last "must have" is definitely CS5, with the "content aware" functionality. CS6 improved that by incorporating that technology into the patch tool and the recently released CC is adding interesting functionality; the "camera shake reduction" is almost in the same class as the content aware functionality.

It's hard to imagine not liking it. The UI is the same as CS6; which to me is a significant improvement over the CS5 one.

Real Name
    Homer

Quote Originally Posted by oldgreygary View Post
    There seems to be a slight caveat with this offer in that you already have to have Photoshop CS3 or higher. So, it's not encouraging people like myself who use Photoshop Elements to be able to make the transition to using Photoshop?

Gary
    Yes, exactly right. I stated earlier that I would be signing up for this, but I can't - no licensed CS product. I don't understand Adobe's approach with this. Why not offer a $15-$25/month "photography" bundle with CS+Lr and the other stuff for people who might not own ANY current Adobe products. Aren't those the ones they should be trying to reel in?

Real Name
    Dan

But what happens if I'm not really happy with this system? i.e. what happens to my existing software?
    I may be wrong, but my understanding is that if you bought CS or LR before the CC, you own a perpetual license to it and can reinstall it.

Personally, I had resisted CC; I see no pressing need to upgrade from CS6, and the price seemed too high. At this price, I will probably do it just for the convenience of not having to fuss with upgrades. My one major hesitations is that there have been times when I have deliberately waited to upgrade--e.g., when I found that the original LR 4.0 was awful, I simply ignored my copy until 4.1 was released. I am currently doing that with 5.0 (even though it is much less buggy than 4.0 was), which I have installed on my computer but only used a few times. With CC, you have the upgrades whether Adobe has properly refined them or not.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

For those of us that are not Professionals and have access to a child's school ID be aware that...
    do as I do, for $20/month you can be granted an educational version. I've done that since CS2.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Not for me, I am happy with PSP.

Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Boy View Post
    I'll be honest, I'm a still a bit baffled by this.

I have a "boxed" CS5. I'm quite happy with this. I've tried CS6 (trial) and didn't feel the need to upgrade as yet. (Normally Adobe would create a few upgrades before the version you own became irrelevant for upgrade)

So today Adobe announce the $9.99 per month for PS CC and LR and other stuff. Sounds good to me. Works out around £6.40.

Can I go back to it?

Am I being a bit thick?

The thing is, I've had a few problems with Adobe in the past. Namely transferring PS from one laptop to another. Countless times.

Is anybody else feeling just a little bit the same way?
    It's not £6.40, it will be £8.78 (I checked). You're got to add on VAT, and then Adobe always charges more in Europe. This price ($9.99 or £8.78 in the UK) will be available from when they launch it (around 17th Sept) but you have to sign up by the end of this year, they say. And you have to have already a licence for Photoshop CS3 to CS6. However, this is supposed to be a perpetual price. That doesn't mean it won't go up, but it means that it isn't a one-year-only price. No, I don't know quite what that means, either.

Quite a lot of discussions, including comments from Eric Chan and Mike Chambers of Adobe, in the Luminous Landscape "Digital Image Processing" forum (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/fo....php?board=5.0).

If you own an existing perpetual licence (e.g. CS5) then you can keep that in addition to getting CC, and if you then leave CC you still have CS5.

I really don't like software rental, I'm just not comfortable with it. However, I'd just upgraded from CS5 to CS6, and have now arranged for a refund from Adobe. The £188 refund will pay for nearly 2 years of the new CC deal, so I'm thinking about it.

Real Name
    John Doddato

I find it very difficult to see how Adobe expects consumers to rent software on a monthly basis. It is a product. Most of our monthly bills are for services we consume where usage is calculated such as electric, gas, or cell phone with minutes and data usage. Adobe has a stand along product that is like many other consumer product we purchase and use from a store. If our product becomes out dated we buy a new one when we feel the need. To rent software on a monthly basis and to not own it goes against what we have considered a normal business practice. I am sure Adobe will find a niche with schools and industry but for the average person it makes little sense to have a monthly bill to rent software. I wouldn't expect Apple to start renting me Mountain Loin to use on my computer. It is a stand alone software product that I purchased and installed on my computer.