Thread: Drip

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Drip

My first photo of a drip.

Drip

Real Name
    Shane

Re: Drip

That is one beautiful drip - nicely done! I'm impressed on more than one level and must note that you've graduated to things that move

Real Name
    Grahame

But is it a glass drip

Real Name
    Greg

The drop isn't dripping vertically: is that right?

[I suppose we will be seeing fish in the liquid shortly ]

I just love the humor you folks bring to CiC!

Grahame: No, it's not a glass drip. It would have been a LOT easier to photograph if it had been made of glass.

Shane: If you only knew how slowly the drip moved. I shot this at a shutter speed of 1/90 but have some other drips that look okay but with an unattractive shape that I shot at 1/30. I used hand soap because the viscosity prevents it from moving very fast. I was afraid that I would have to use a speed light to stop the action. I had a choice of using the Nikon D5100 that has an articulating LCD but no way to power an off-camera speed light or a Nikon D7000 which handles the speed light but has no articulating LCD. The D5100 was set up, so I was glad I didn't have to change to the D7000 and a speed light.

Sorry, Greg. There will be no fish for a very long time.

There is something about the tension of the soap that the soap holds onto the glass and drips at less than a vertical angle in this first stage of the drip. When I captured the first few photos, I noticed that the drip wasn't vertical even though the camera was aligned with the pitcher. I then tilted the pitcher to get the drip to be as is. I saw all of this happening, so it doesn't bother me that the drip isn't vertical. If the direction of the drip seems unnerving, please let me know; I can easily rotate the image a bit more to make the drip vertical.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 3rd September 2013 at 04:52 AM.

I'm really curious: Is it immediately obvious that this is a photo of a pitcher? The reason I ask is that my wife didn't recognize it as that.

Real Name
    Shane

I got it as a pitcher immediately Mike.

Now you have me envious...a choice between the 5100 and the 7000 is something that I can only dream of

I am working up the nerve to ask Santa (aka my hubby) for the 7000 or the 7100

Real Name
    Matthew

My first photo of a drip.
    And hopefully NOT your last. I like where you are going with this...

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I'm really curious: Is it immediately obvious that this is a photo of a pitcher? The reason I ask is that my wife didn't recognize it as that.
    Yes, I saw it as pitcher. What did your wife think it was?

If the direction of the drip seems unnerving, please let me know.
    It's not a problem for me, Mike, I am quite happy to see you flout the law of gravity

Real Name
    John

Very nice.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

An interesting photo but is it a drip? It looks destined to become a drip but it has not yet overcome the surface tension that is holding it to the portion of the liquid that will not plummet to earth. John have you enticed me to view this thread due to false advertising?

May be I am confusing a drip with a drop and is there a difference? Life is full of mysteries.

Thanks, everyone!

The first photo that I showed my wife is of a different pitcher. It is not as successful in my mind because, unlike this one, it is made of cut glass that has characteristics that distract the viewer from the drip. She said that one looks like a duck. I have saved her the disgrace of letting you see it for yourselves because I deleted the image. She says this photo looks like an abstract. By the way, she isn't on any medication, but maybe she should be.

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    An interesting photo but is it a drip? It looks destined to become a drip but it has not yet overcome the surface tension that is holding it to the portion of the liquid that will not plummet to earth. John have you enticed me to view this thread due to false advertising?

May be I am confusing a drip with a drop and is there a difference? Life is full of mysteries.
    I am thrilled to learn that the false advertising has been effective. However, there was no plummeting to earth going on in the making of this photo. Instead, there was a soft landing on a paper towel that was gently resting on the tabletop. Considering that a drip must drop, one could argue that they are one and the same. However, I consider a drop to be a drip that has dropped, much as all meteorites were first a meteoroid and then a meteor before becoming a meteorite. So there!

Real Name
    Christina

gorgeous image Mike.. I especially like the drip. I thought it was the edge of a vase, ie; not a pitcher

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    I thought it was the edge of a vase, ie; not a pitcher
    I can live with that but don't tell my wife. This detail could just as easily be of a decorative vase as a pitcher.