Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Simple B&W Glass

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Simple B&W Glass

Though I delayed posting this photo made during my "macro weekend," it might be my favorite. I like the subtlety of tonal graduation made possible by bright field lighting and I like the simple symmetry of this particular photo.

Simple B&W Glass

Real Name
    Terry

Re: Simple B&W Glass

Mike I really like this one. I agree with your assessment. Very nice lines.

I wonder if cropping it to dead center from the sides and putting the glass all the way in the bottom corners of the frame would be appropriate?

I don't know how I missed getting it dead center at the bottom but I do feel that that's absolutely necessary given the symmetry of the rest of the image. About your other point, I like having the space on the sides, perhaps because I want this one a bit different from some other photos not yet posted with the lines going to the corners.

Real Name
    Shane

I like this Mike but I am going to nit-pick again only this time I suspect that you will disagree with me...

I wonder if the image would be improve by cloning out the shadow that forms a line across the neck of the vase (my eye is drawn to it). I do recognize that this is part of the natural shadows creating by your lighting and am not sure if you would consider the removal cheating but I thought that I would toss it out there...

Real Name
    Greg

I find it very reminiscent of the Rubin vase.

Greg: Comparing this photo to a Rubin vase is clearly more than I deserve. Even so, thank you!

Shane: The shadow that you mentioned is so subtle that it doesn't distract me at all, yet it adds to the three-dimensional appearance of the vessel. If I did want to remove it, I wouldn't consider it cheating at all. I have no qualms using whatever method to make an image more pleasing whether it's changing the lighting, composition or post-processing. If you want a print of it, I'll be sure to remove that shadow from your copy.

Real Name
    Ali

I think the line across the neck of the bottle gives the illusion of a vase inside of a vase.

Real Name
    Christina

Looks like a Rubin vase to me...