Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: a victiorian steampunker

Real Name
    Henk Hijdra

a victiorian steampunker

I like the victorian era with writers like Conan Doyle and Dickens.
    On a meeting of the Urban Photographic Collective (UPC) with dozens of photographers and models, I met a group of steampunkers. Specialy one of them remembered me of the drawings in the Jules Verne books. I wanted to make a 19 th century discovery journey picture
    There was a barn with tons of salt for the roads in winter. In this mountains I made the picture for the adventure.

Above the salt mountains I deleted the roof of the barn. I replaced it with a cloudy sky, not real clouds, but a rendered texture in CS6. I added a drawing of an air ballon. Sky and balloon where intended to give a feeling of the old pictures in the Old books.

The mixture of modern digital photo and artificial sky and drawing of the balloon, I like that. I am very curious the hear your comment .

a victiorian steampunker

More of my pictures of that beautiful day on a former military air base you will find on:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/henkhij...7634537078806/

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: a victiorian steampunker

This works really well for me. It looks like a very nice illustration. If you could render the salt to appear more like an illustration and less like a photo, it would work even better for me.

Notice the shadow of the balloon's rope is going in the wrong direction relative to all of the other shadows. That shadow should be to the left of the rope.

Real Name
    John

Very nice.

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

I love what you have done. Very creative. You are so fortunate to have a willing and appropriately dressed model.

I was intrigued by your image. I had a play with it. I hope I have not offended. I will remove what I posted if you object.

a victiorian steampunker

Marie

Real Name
    Henk Hijdra

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    This works really well for me. It looks like a very nice illustration. If you could render the salt to appear more like an illustration and less like a photo, it would work even better for me.

Notice the shadow of the balloon's rope is going in the wrong direction relative to all of the other shadows. That shadow should be to the left of the rope.
    Thank you Mike, for your comment, the extra rendering of the salt is an interessting idea, I think about that, see also the comment of Marie, who did a makeover that I like very much.

There was a confusion about the rope: my idea was that the end of the rope was laying on the ground (no shadow). Perhaps I make a curl in the rope end to show it better.

Real Name
    Henk Hijdra

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Very nice.
    Thank you

Real Name
    Henk Hijdra

I think it's a compliment if a photograph can inspire another photographer. The makeover that you did, I like it very much.
    Last edited by Henk33; 2nd September 2013 at 10:36 AM.

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

Thank you, Henk. You will have a lot of fun with this image.