Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Limpkin up close and personal...

  1. #1
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Limpkin up close and personal...

    I captured these at the marsh early this morning. I was walking along the trail when this Limpkin landed on the top of a small Bald Cypress. It was behind me, the angle and light was bad from where I was. So slowly I walked past the bird without making eye contact to a better place. I began capturing images as the bird moved and preened. When I had a sufficient number to cover all the poses I wanted to capture the bird in flight. I set my camera and waited, and waited, and waited. Finally it decided to fly, the wait was worth time spent. The Limpkin is an interesting bird in that it is only found in Florida and up a little ways into Georgia. It only feed on the large Apple Snails. Early in the morning it screeches can be heard all across the marsh. C&C welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

    #1

    Limpkin up close and personal...

    #2

    Limpkin up close and personal...

    #3

    Limpkin up close and personal...

    #4

    Limpkin up close and personal...

    #5

    Limpkin up close and personal...

    #6

    Limpkin up close and personal...

    The Apple Snails that it feed on, about 2 to 3 inches across.

    Limpkin up close and personal...
    Last edited by jprzybyla; 31st August 2013 at 07:11 PM.

  2. #2
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    30,704
    Real Name
    John

    Re: Limpkin up close and personal...

    Very nice.

  3. #3
    Brownbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    7,244
    Real Name
    Christina

    Re: Limpkin up close and personal...

    Beautiful images Joe... Gorgeous light and detail... It's hard to choose a favourite but if pressed I would say image 2 & 4...

    Thank you for sharing the details of your strategy and the information on the bird. These are the most beautiful Limpkin images I have ever seen. You may just see me in Florida one day...

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    4,496
    Real Name
    wm c boyer

    Re: Limpkin up close and personal...

    Love the detail...I don't have your patience, woulda flung a rock or something.
    For us technocrats...what lens and camera settings and how much crop?
    Any more of him in flight?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North West of England
    Posts
    6,598
    Real Name
    John

    Re: Limpkin up close and personal...

    I just love the variety you show us Joe. More nice images of something many of us will never see in the flesh.

  6. #6
    Ken Curtis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    800
    Real Name
    Ken Curtis

    Re: Limpkin up close and personal...

    Really well done, Joe. I like your images when there is a bit of something else in the frame, which for these shots is the top of the tree he was standing on. The exposures are great and the images crisp and clear.

  7. #7
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Re: Limpkin up close and personal...

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Very nice.
    Thank you John, very much appreciated.

  8. #8
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Re: Limpkin up close and personal...

    Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    Beautiful images Joe... Gorgeous light and detail... It's hard to choose a favourite but if pressed I would say image 2 & 4...

    Thank you for sharing the details of your strategy and the information on the bird. These are the most beautiful Limpkin images I have ever seen. You may just see me in Florida one day...
    Thanks Christina, your viewing and commenting is always appreciated. Florida is wonderful for bird photography, so many natural areas.

  9. #9
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Re: Limpkin up close and personal...

    Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Love the detail...I don't have your patience, woulda flung a rock or something.
    For us technocrats...what lens and camera settings and how much crop?
    Any more of him in flight?
    Hello Chauncey, thank you for your comment and taking time to view. Here is a link to a website that will show you all the EXIF data, maybe more than you want to look at. Any image in CIC if you right click on it and select Copy Shortcut from the drop down menu. Open the website ( link below ) and past the copied shortcut in the box labeled Image URL. Then click on View Image at URL, that will open the image and show the EXIF data. I have this link saved in my Internet Explorer favorites so I can go to it when needed.

    http://regex.info/exif.cgi

  10. #10
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Re: Limpkin up close and personal...

    Quote Originally Posted by John 2 View Post
    I just love the variety you show us Joe. More nice images of something many of us will never see in the flesh.
    Thanks John, I always appreciate your thoughtful comments.

  11. #11
    jprzybyla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    3,073
    Real Name
    Joe

    Re: Limpkin up close and personal...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Curtis View Post
    Really well done, Joe. I like your images when there is a bit of something else in the frame, which for these shots is the top of the tree he was standing on. The exposures are great and the images crisp and clear.
    Very much appreciated Ken, I understand what you write about something else in the frame, I like it also.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •