Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: New SmugMug Websites

Real Name
    Joe

New SmugMug Websites

For those who use SmugMug, what do you think of the new designs of the websites. I looked at them tonight, quite frankly I do not like any of them. Then there is being forced at some time in the future to have to migrate to one of them and start from scratch to design and build an new website. Just my cantankerous self not liking to be forced to do anything. Wondering what other forum members who use SmugMug think?

Real Name
    Andrew

Re: New SmugMug Websites

Quite honestly, Joe, I think they're fantastic, and the new features offered by Smugmug are second to none.

I'd recommend you visit my site - but it's not nearly as nice as Donald's new site, so please take the time to visit his.

There was a fairly extensive thread started by (I believe) Donald, on this site a while back when we all migrated. I was going to link it for you here, but I just haven't had the time to find it. You may find some useful advice in it though. I know it was quite helpful for me.

I know the change is a bit of a pain at first, but I'm sure if you bear with it, you'll enjoy the new features.

Real Name
    Dan

New SmugMug Websites

I think they are great. Keep in mind that that are highly (and easily) customizable, so you can quickly create something that looks very different from their samples. I found the system a little mystifying at first--initially, they did not do a great job of explaining how to use it--but they held some brief webinars to explain it. At least one is now on the website. After watching the webinar, I was able to create three very different sites in an evening. I still am finding my way around a bit, but on the whole, I am very pleased. This is a vast improvement over the old system, IMHO. I am typing on an iPad, so my signature won't show, but you can check my current design at dkoretz.smugmug.com. I don't recall exactly, but I think it took me about an hour to build, perhaps a bit more, because I took advantage of the new organizing functions to reorganize most of my galleries.

Real Name
    Grahame

WOW ! What a coincidence.

I was just about to start a new thread and ask a smugmug question when I noticed this one started by Joe.

Over the past week I have been setting up a site, my first attempt ever, using the 14 day free trial and am very impressed with the options and customizable layouts although it has been a bit of a learning curve. No doubt for the younger generation it would be very simple.

Having followed many instructions and tutorials I still can not get any photo in my galleries to be found when doing a google search. The object of what I'm doing is primarily to be able to share my pics with life here with friends and family around the world rather than emailing them. I can however find some of my images that are in my smugmug gallery when searching on google images but only because they have also been posted on CiC separately?

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

Quote Originally Posted by jprzybyla View Post
    Just my cantankerous self not liking to be forced to do anything.
    Joe: From one cantankerous old man to another, I was very frustrated with the migration. Smug Mug was too quick with their release and did not have tutorials ready to walk pro users through the transition. Moreover, their help group was overloaded and couldn't respond to help requests for days. All that said, once I climbed the very steep learning curve, I like the product. I think it's much better looking than the legasy program. Take a look at my site and let me know what questions are bugging you. I cn try to help out with what I've worked out myself.

Real Name
    Richard

I keep returning to the "Legacy" smugmug. It has always done exactly what I want it to do. I use my smugmug mainly to store my better images and the most important use id to be able to link to these images for posting on websites, etc...

If I were going to try to sell my images or my services as a photographer using smugmug, I ,ight be quite happy with the change.....

Real Name
    John

I am not sure about it yet. I think I sort of migrated without trying and it looks OK but I am really good at these things

my smugmug site is: http://jomophotography.smugmug.com/ take a look

Real Name
    Joe

Thanks guys for your encouragement and positive feedback on the new smugmug websites. After looking at your websites as an example I bit the bullet over the weekend and have my new site up and running. Not finished ( is it ever finished ) but functional and I do like the new look and features. Below is a link to my new site. Thanks again, very much appreciated.

http://amazinglight.smugmug.com/

Real Name
    John

your smugmug site is wonderful