Thread: Changing the Glass Vessel

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Changing the Glass Vessel

Please let me know which photo you prefer or whether you have no strong preference.

Real Name
    Allen or "Lurchy" is fine

Re: Changing the Glass Vessel

i prefer the second one myself, mainly due to the top of the diffrent vessel having the black reflections on the top that the first image lacks, well in my point of view

Real Name
    Greg

What were you trying to achieve with this shot, Mike?

Thank you, Allen.

Greg: I was trying to achieve a simple image displaying symmetry and all of the objects and their reflections in a three-dimensional context (hence, the strong horizon, the display of the front and rear of the top of the center vessel and the two outside vessels turned a little bit sideways). I always wanted a little bit of interest beyond the typical product shot, which explains why the two vessels are not standing upright.

I'm eager to learn the gist of your question.

I prefer the first, because the two side vessels are a fraction further from the central one. In the second they are too close and make it feel cramped, plus there is a quite pronounced reflection of the base of the central vessel in the necks of the outer vessels which I don't really like.

Other than those issues I really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by dan marchant View Post
    there is a quite pronounced reflection of the base of the central vessel in the necks of the outer vessels which I don't really like.
    That's also why I don't like the second one as much, Dan. I didn't see those characteristics in the camera's LCD; I saw them only when I had the luxury of the larger image being displayed on my computer system's monitor.

The same reflection exists in the first photo but only on the vessel on the right and to a much smaller extent.

Real Name
    Christina

Image 1 for the composition and different glass in the center... Image 2 for the shadows and detail in the reflection. I like the top half of image 1 and the bottom half of image 2, best.

Real Name
    Bruce

Mike, I like #2 because of the higher contrast in the middle vessel.

Bruce

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I ask about this sort of stuff because I've learned sometimes that though I might like or dislike or have a particular impression of a particular image, others so often provide their view that I would never have considered on my own.

Real Name
    Christina

I've decided that I like #2 the best because of the perfect balance including the same type of glass vessel... Sorry for the change of mind but I am trying to learn by picking out the details and trying to understand what I like best and why...

Real Name
    Terri

#2. It seems more balanced and the pieces fit together better.

Real Name
    Shane

#2 because of the choice of central vase. The flared top provides weight and balance. If I had to nitpick...I don't care for the strong reflection of the horizon in the second shot in the vase but it seems to be due to the fact that the vase in the first has a thicker bottom than the one in the second...

Continued thanks to everyone for your detailed reaction to the two photos!

Shane: I gather that you're objecting to the relatively straight line of the horizon in the second photo being reflected and refracted in the center vessel. I see your point about that; it's the only relatively straight line in the glass and it doesn't complement or adequately contrast the other curved lines. So, keep those nitpicks coming!

The center vessel in both photos reflects and refracts the horizon equally strongly in both images. The horizon in the second photo is perhaps more recognizable because it is refracted less and is more similar to the source horizon. The shape of the vessel definitely affects the shape of the refracted horizon but I might be able to change that by changing the position of the vessel relative to both the horizon and the camera. Then again, maybe not. Regardless, it's worth a try.

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post

Greg: I was trying to achieve a simple image displaying symmetry and all of the objects and their reflections in a three-dimensional context (hence, the strong horizon, the display of the front and rear of the top of the center vessel and the two outside vessels turned a little bit sideways). I always wanted a little bit of interest beyond the typical product shot, which explains why the two vessels are not standing upright.

I'm eager to learn the gist of your question.
    Nothing deep or devious, Mike. I couldn't see a lot of difference between the two photos -- same arrangement, same support objects -- so I wondered what you were aiming at.

What really attracts my attention - in both images - is the reflective pattern in the base of the main object. Have you tried to capture just that as a subject? eg

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    What really attracts my attention - in both images - is the reflective pattern in the base of the main object. Have you tried to capture just that as a subject?
    No, but your timing is impeccable, Greg. The reason I haven't tried to capture it is because I haven't had the ideal equipment. I rented a macro lens this weekend to make images such as the one you envisioned. I have just begun using it and I'm having a blast, mostly because this is the first time I have ever used a true macro lens.

Real Name
    Jon

Mike, I like the comp on both images. I prefer the 2nd only because I really dont like the look of the central vessel in the 1st image. The cut top just looks incomplete to me, I prefer the flared top.

Cheers